S&W questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Standard catalog of S&W 3rd edition and will be buying the newest 4th edition soon. I have spent a lot of time reading the book and trying to memorize as much information as possible. I think a fixed sight K frame with a 3 inch barrel would be an ideal carry revolver. Junior, you have some dang good guns for carry and shooting. I keep thinking about a Charter bulldog or S&W 3 inch barrel model 696 44special for a carry gun.

Well if you have the $800.00 to over $1000.00 for that SW696, I think you might want to look at the new GP100, or the Charter Arms Bulldog. As a weight issue I would go with the Bulldog over the GP100, and load her with Winchester 200GR SilverTip hollowpoints. They are a very mild recoiling but effective defensive load with a really good track record for maximum expansion regardless of clothing worn by the threat. Hornady has their 165GR FTX( I don't carry it in my 624) but what I have shot of it, it shows very good accuracy, and recoil is mild. Federal has their 200GR SWCHP, even though its not a +P its a .38 Special SWCHP+P on steroids!! I'v e shot this round, and have used it at times, and would recommend this as a good self defense cartridge too. Basicly the .44 special is nothing more than a .45ACP in a revolver, pretty much the same bullet weight, same velocity, even though there isn't as much selection of defensive loadings out there for the .44 special, the loads I've mentioned are also available in both with almost identical specifications.

P.S. I apologize for the side tracking of the original thread!!!

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The GP 100s are low slung fighting guns and it was a real struggle to decide which one to pick from between the GP100 and the 64. I mean, I was back and forth on it for a long time - months. Ruger isn't messing around and they have a very aggressive line-up. In the end I went with the 64 mainly because I didn't see anything on it that would catch on clothing during a critical draw. The hammer spur is set well beneath the top strap and hasn't snagged on the Kangaroo chest band. It pulls from the deep conceal in a smooth, buttery draw. The 100 is an example of Ruger's straightfoward thinking, but the smooth lines of the 64 kept drawing me back - again and again. There's a lot of variations of the GP100, and two of them almost had me. Those two looked a lot like the 64, but had shorter barrels. The Rugers are built like tanks, but so is the 64. The 64 is the most overbuilt 38 Special I've seen. But it just feels and handles so good.

At home and out and about, often - but not always, I'll have the Bulldog in a pancake belt holster with part of my shirt tail covering it. Many times though, I'll have the 340 in a pocket holster instead - because it's just so grab and go - I mean really, really convenient. What I carry in the Kangaroo chest band is a semi-auto when not at work.

Speaking of work - it's time to get ready to head that way...

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got home and am about to go to bed. It's still dark outside. Well, I have had an epiphany; this is the best pair up I've ever carried for sixteen hours at a stretch. I know its retro, but I know it's right for me. I just may carry this duo all the time. Never have I carried a pair that felt so damned compatible.

i.imgur.com_Dh0X9Gk.jpg

i.imgur.com_CxlNjgc.jpg

i.imgur.com_f7eo8UG.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's right, Idp4570; a K-frame and a J-frame that run on the same fuel. I know that there are a lot of people who see this thread and shake their heads at this. They figure correctly, that I am sacrificing ammunition capacity. Me getting into a gun battle with multiple targets at 25 meters is not going to happen. Me getting robbed at work could happen. Me getting robbed and assaulted in the parking lot could happen. Especially in the dark. Somebody grabbing my gun or gunhand in a struggle could happen. Where I work has been robbed at gunpoint.

Edit: I guess that proximity is the overiding factor in this decision; distances involving less than five feet. I pretty well figure I am going to get slammed around some in an event. Given what I do.

Off duty I wear long sleeve shirts that have snap buttons. I wear a tee-shirt underneath with a chestband in between them. I access the 64 by simply ripping open the snap button shirt. At work I wear an open necked shirt that allows me to reach down in there. But the 64 pulls real good from the chest band. Not all revolvers do. The Alaskan didn't. The Bulldogs don't, either. A chest band is ideal for certain types of weapons, and for others it isn't. But the 64 draws real good from it.

i.imgur.com_cxTmh6B.jpg

Off duty the 340 goes into the pants pocket.

i.imgur.com_VOHv5zx.jpg

i.imgur.com_5dpSBP7.jpg

The 340 is a lot more mobile and gets switched from place to place on my person as needs be. At work its in a different pocket, a pocket I can shoot from without having to withdraw it.

Last edited:

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. A while back, there was a thread here asking for suggested handguns for a new shooter. I recommended a model 10 and there were a bunch of "revolvers are stupid" responses. I must get into fewer shootouts than most because I still say they're a good option. (Not trying to rekindle that argument)

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Junior, Regardless of military or law enforcement being armed with a pair of revolvers is no detriment. Granted you may not have as many rounds as someone carrying a Glock 19, but if properly trained a person with a revolver is just as effective as the one armed with a Glock 19. Actually one properly trained with a revolver is usually more accurate, and tends to not expend as much ammunition as one armed with a semi-auto pistol. The revolver is in some respects better than the semi. They can chamber more powerful, and larger rounds since the revolver operates via manual dexterity and not by gases created from the type of ammunition to cause the firearm to operate. If I was told that all I could ever have was revolvers I would be completely happy.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's right, Idp4570; a K-frame and a J-frame that run on the same fuel. I know that there are a lot of people who see this thread and shake their heads at this. They figure correctly, that I am sacrificing ammunition capacity. Me getting into a gun battle with multiple targets at 25 meters is not going to happen. Me getting robbed at work could happen. Me getting robbed and assaulted in the parking lot could happen. Especially in the dark. Somebody grabbing my gun or gunhand in a struggle could happen. Where I work has been robbed at gunpoint.

Edit: I guess that proximity is the overiding factor in this decision; distances involving less than five feet. I pretty well figure I am going to get slammed around some in an event. Given what I do.

Off duty I wear long sleeve shirts that have snap buttons. I wear a tee-shirt underneath with a chestband in between them. I access the 64 by simply ripping open the snap button shirt. At work I wear an open necked shirt that allows me to reach down in there. But the 64 pulls real good from the chest band. Not all revolvers do. The Alaskan didn't. The Bulldogs don't, either. A chest band is ideal for certain types of weapons, and for others it isn't. But the 64 draws real good from it.

i.imgur.com_cxTmh6B.jpg

Off duty the 340 goes into the pants pocket.

i.imgur.com_VOHv5zx.jpg

i.imgur.com_5dpSBP7.jpg

The 340 is a lot more mobile and gets switched from place to place on my person as needs be. At work its in a different pocket, a pocket I can shoot from without having to withdraw it.
You have your thumb covering the hammer spur, I notice. Good: I do the same on my DA wheelguns when I draw as well. This reduces to likelihood of the hammer snagging on clothing.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Junior, Regardless of military or law enforcement being armed with a pair of revolvers is no detriment. Granted you may not have as many rounds as someone carrying a Glock 19, but if properly trained a person with a revolver is just as effective as the one armed with a Glock 19. Actually one properly trained with a revolver is usually more accurate, and tends to not expend as much ammunition as one armed with a semi-auto pistol. The revolver is in some respects better than the semi. They can chamber more powerful, and larger rounds since the revolver operates via manual dexterity and not by gases created from the type of ammunition to cause the firearm to operate. If I was told that all I could ever have was revolvers I would be completely happy.

Well I am in control of narcotics and anything that happens involving a robbery is going to be really close. I mean arm's distance. I don't need someone trying for a grab on a weapon that can be put out of battery.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the 64 is the stainless version of the iconic model 15. the 64-8 was introduced in 2004. if you give me a serial number via pm, i can give you a precise year.

Nope, the 64 is the stainless version of the model 10.

It was the 67 that was the stainless version of the model 15,,,
The 67 is the lower left gun.

www.aarondgraham.com_pics_harem.jpg

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom