S&W questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Junior, The guy you contacted is probably all of 22yrs old, and has no idea or knowledge of the original M&P's. To him an M&P is a semi-auto pistol not a revolver. :hypnotize::hypnotize:

Well there is a Military and Police logo clearly etched onto the frame of my M&P 340CT revolver.

i.imgur.com_oxTrtcp.jpg

Also, this pic should send the hired help at S&W to seek clarification on this riddle.

i.imgur.com_pXW6bNI.png

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be, could be. He/she has a fascinating job and should be up on the history of S&W. Speaking of which, S&W history is a subject of intense interest for me. I've downloaded several books on S&W, and they crack the lid open, but it's like seeing things in a partially dark room when a door of a lighted closet is ajar.

My question is initiated with a statement; S&W held the patent on the bored cylinder of revolvers for about 20 years, and the Model 1, 22 short was the mainstay during the interim. Later, the Model 2 in 32 caliber came out. And so, Colt and everybody else was stuck with cap and ball revolvers until the patent expired.

I read that S&W could not move to big bore cartridges because of metallurgy; that the casings were too brittle and couldn't expand and then shrink back as does brass during detonation.

However, it looks to me like Colt got it right when the patent expired. Why could S&W not overcome this, before the others did upon the expiration of the patent?

Edit: Punchuashion

Last edited:

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it sure surprises me every time I shoot it. There's something basic, and straightforward about it. It shoots with utilitarian authority. It's not got the polish and glitter. But it's a real hard hitter. I read somewhere about it, and I don't know if this is true or not - that the M&P45 Full Size was S&W's bid to replace the M9 when the Full Size first came out. I don't know if there is anything to that. I've been debating on whether or not to run a box through it tomorrow. So far I've ran 150 rounds through it and I can't come up with anything negative to say about it.

There is another pistol I may shoot instead. I've never shot it before. It's a family heirloom. My grandpa brought it back from Europe after WWII for a friend. But somehow or another the friend never got it from my grandpa. It's from Hungary. My dad carried it all of his adult life, but he never shot it. It's not been shot, I guess since WWII.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"There is another pistol I may shoot instead. I've never shot it before. It's a family heirloom. My grandpa brought it back from Europe after WWII for a friend. But somehow or another the friend never got it from my grandpa. It's from Hungary. My dad carried it all of his adult life, but he never shot it. It's not been shot, I guess since WWII."

That's kind of a teaser.....what is it?

Edit: I saw your other thread & it answered my question. That's a cool piece.

Last edited:

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"There is another pistol I may shoot instead. I've never shot it before. It's a family heirloom. My grandpa brought it back from Europe after WWII for a friend. But somehow or another the friend never got it from my grandpa. It's from Hungary. My dad carried it all of his adult life, but he never shot it. It's not been shot, I guess since WWII."

That's kind of a teaser.....what is it?

Edit: I saw your other thread & it answered my question. That's a cool piece.

Thanks. I'm going to get the range ready for tomorrow. If the weather holds, I'm going to run a box through it. I looked up all the info on it that I could find, and it was made in 1944. It was issued to the Hungarian Army and to German Luftwaffe units.

Edit: I think I'll run it against the M&P 45. Let's see which shoots better...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom