S&W Revolver Detailed Disassembly, Deep Clean and Reassembly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very good writeup and explanation! One thing often overlooked is the use of a cell phone camera. I've used one to take apart things step-by-step and then I've forgotten I had a cell phone camera and took things apart and had a heck of a time figuring out how to put things back together. Some day I'll learn but by then it'll probably be too late...

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great post, thanks.
I recently opened up a couple of revolvers for clean/lube.
My biggest problem was picking the oil. I wanted oil of good quality that will neither gum up or dry.
I ended up using Slip2000 EWL30.
Next time I open them up again, years from now, I'll know if I made the right choice.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a schematic diagram of the S&W revolver that I found useful when the extractor rod came loose on my 986.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/smith-wesson/revolvers-sw/686-sw

I'm thinking about sending it back to Springfield to have them deal with it as it is under warranty. It's not as though I don't have plenty of other toys to play with.
Factory already tightened it once. If you send it back it'll just do it again. Extractor rods backing out are just what they do on guns that actually get shot. Clean it in acetone and put some blue loc-tite on it. Fixed...

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a schematic diagram of the S&W revolver that I found useful when the extractor rod came loose on my 986.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/smith-wesson/revolvers-sw/686-sw

I'm thinking about sending it back to Springfield to have them deal with it as it is under warranty. It's not as though I don't have plenty of other toys to play with.

I don't know Gary, you're a smart guy and all, but if it was me gonna send it back, I'd maybe send it back to S&W.

Latest posts

Top Bottom