S&W Shield .45 IWB Holster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone here carry one IWB?

I'm looking for a good IWB, that is smaller than the Alien and more minimalist.

I've not carried since I was a LEO either OWB or IWB, but I'm going to start.

I'm looking for suggestions, and any discussion you feel like having, or info you believe I need to consider.

Thanks in advance!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't carry a .45 Shield IWB, cause I don't have one. (Oh I do think they are great guns; I just don't have one). But I do and have carried many others IWB, from a full size 1911, CZ-75, Glocks of all sizes and flavors, a 9mm Shield, Sig P239, P229R, M-11A1, Walther PPK/S, various S&W Revolvers, Walther PPS M2 and now a Sig P365. Choosing an IWB holster is a very personal matter. I have carried in Crossbreeds, SHTF Gear, Theiss, and other similar hybrids quite often in the past, but at 5'10", 190 and with a flat gut, I am just not big enough around to be comfortable with half my waistline smothered in leather that is stuffed down inside my pants. I find they conceal well, but I personally just don't like that much material inside my britches. I like smaller, even sometimes minimalist type IWB holsters. About as big an IWB as I can get along with now is something like a Milt Sparks VMII, a TT Gunleather Slim or Mike's Special IWB, or a UBG Canute/Striker. Back when I carried a G43, I favored a TT Gunleather KX Lightweight. In fact, I like it so much, I think I may get another for my P365. Yeah, I know that's the leather IWB one I want for the little P365...the TT KX Lightweight...I'm pretty sure anyway. I think any quality IWB along those lines would be a great choice for the .45 Shield.

But, with these types of holsters, you are probably going to be carrying IWB at somewhere in the neighborhood of 3:00- 5:00 O'clock. If you want to carry AIWB, then a dual clip like the Crossbreed Reckoning looks pretty good, or any of the dedicated AIWB rigs that are well regarded. I have PJ Holsters AIWB Kydex holsters for three of my "carry-able" guns now, all with a straight drop and all low-riding per my request to the maker. I would say stick with PJ Holsters, Vedder, Tulster, and a few other highly regarded makers for straight Kydex. The PJ Holster reinforced clip is a great little Kydex holster, but it is not adjustable, so you have to be sure you are happy with where you have him make it ride on the beltline and how much CANT he puts on it. The Vedder Light Tuck, a single clip holster, is on the other hand also a well made little IWB Kydex holster and is VERY adjustable, from a straight drop, to a sharp forward and reverse cant, as well as how high or low you adjust it to ride. I have a Vedder for my P365 and it works very well. I also think if you like the style, the offerings by Stealth Gear are good designs too; again, I just don't see the need for that much "stuff" AIWB or IWB either way.

So, having said all that, if I was going to go buy an IWB to be worn strong side right now for the .45 Shield, I'd get a UBG Canute or Striker, (since he gives OSA members a nice discount if you use code "OKSHOOTERS" at checkout), or if you want a really beautiful holster, but at also almost twice the price of a UBG, a TT Gunleather KX lightweight (if you like clips) or a TT Slim or Mike's Special if you like loops, and a Vedder Light Tuck to cover my needs for easy on/easy off and to be there for me as either a quick on/off strong side IWB or an AIWB too. I know a lot will say the Sparks VMII is the standard by which all others are judged, but to me, the TT Gunleather holsters are every bit the equal, and they ride a little lower. Get the Sparks if you want it to ride a little higher. Oh, TT Gunleather or UBG either one will get to you much quicker than the Sparks VMII, if that's a consideration.

The only other bit of advice I can give, as you begin your holster search, is to either clear out a couple of drawers or get a few big boxes to store them in...

As I think about it, Nelson, Nightingale, Brommeland, Del Fatti, 5-Shot Leather, Alessi, Ritchie, and Brigade Gunleather also make very functional and beautiful holsters, but you will PAY and you will WAIT. The nicest, best fitting, and functional leather IWB holster I ever had for a BIG gun was a Nightingale Raptor for a full size Govt Model...and it took about 8 months to get it.

There are others, and others will probably chime in.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't carry a .45 Shield IWB, cause I don't have one. (Oh I do think they are great guns; I just don't have one). But I do and have carried many others IWB, from a full size 1911, CZ-75, Glocks of all sizes and flavors, a 9mm Shield, Sig P239, P229R, M-11A1, Walther PPK/S, various S&W Revolvers, Walther PPS M2 and now a Sig P365. Choosing an IWB holster is a very personal matter. I have carried in Crossbreeds, SHTF Gear, Theiss, and other similar hybrids quite often in the past, but at 5'10", 190 and with a flat gut, I am just not big enough around to be comfortable with half my waistline smothered in leather that is stuffed down inside my pants. I find they conceal well, but I personally just don't like that much material inside my britches. I like smaller, even sometimes minimalist type IWB holsters. About as big an IWB as I can get along with now is something like a Milt Sparks VMII, a TT Gunleather Slim or Mike's Special IWB, or a UBG Canute/Striker. Back when I carried a G43, I favored a TT Gunleather KX Lightweight. In fact, I like it so much, I think I may get another for my P365. Yeah, I know that's the leather IWB one I want for the little P365...the TT KX Lightweight...I'm pretty sure anyway. I think any quality IWB along those lines would be a great choice for the .45 Shield.

But, with these types of holsters, you are probably going to be carrying IWB at somewhere in the neighborhood of 3:00- 5:00 O'clock. If you want to carry AIWB, then a dual clip like the Crossbreed Reckoning looks pretty good, or any of the dedicated AIWB rigs that are well regarded. I have PJ Holsters AIWB Kydex holsters for three of my "carry-able" guns now, all with a straight drop and all low-riding per my request to the maker. I would say stick with PJ Holsters, Vedder, Tulster, and a few other highly regarded makers for straight Kydex. The PJ Holster reinforced clip is a great little Kydex holster, but it is not adjustable, so you have to be sure you are happy with where you have him make it ride on the beltline and how much CANT he puts on it. The Vedder Light Tuck, a single clip holster, is on the other hand also a well made little IWB Kydex holster and is VERY adjustable, from a straight drop, to a sharp forward and reverse cant, as well as how high or low you adjust it to ride. I have a Vedder for my P365 and it works very well. I also think if you like the style, the offerings by Stealth Gear are good designs too; again, I just don't see the need for that much "stuff" AIWB or IWB either way.

So, having said all that, if I was going to go buy an IWB to be worn strong side right now for the .45 Shield, I'd get a UBG Canute or Striker, (since he gives OSA members a nice discount if you use code "OKSHOOTERS" at checkout), or if you want a really beautiful holster, but at also almost twice the price of a UBG, a TT Gunleather KX lightweight (if you like clips) or a TT Slim or Mike's Special if you like loops, and a Vedder Light Tuck to cover my needs for easy on/easy off and to be there for me as either a quick on/off strong side IWB or an AIWB too. I know a lot will say the Sparks VMII is the standard by which all others are judged, but to me, the TT Gunleather holsters are every bit the equal, and they ride a little lower. Get the Sparks if you want it to ride a little higher. Oh, TT Gunleather or UBG either one will get to you much quicker than the Sparks VMII, if that's a consideration.

The only other bit of advice I can give, as you begin your holster search, is to either clear out a couple of drawers or get a few big boxes to store them in...

As I think about it, Nelson, Nightingale, Brommeland, Del Fatti, 5-Shot Leather, Alessi, Ritchie, and Brigade Gunleather also make very functional and beautiful holsters, but you will PAY and you will WAIT. The nicest, best fitting, and functional leather IWB holster I ever had for a BIG gun was a Nightingale Raptor for a full size Govt Model...and it took about 8 months to get it.

There are others, and others will probably chime in.

I appreciate your help.

I'm going to start with two of your recommendations from above for the .45 and depending on how I like carrying that gun, I may get two more for the 9 & .40. I'm going with the Vedder and the TT Gunleather.

Again, I appreciate your insight and your suggestions.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seldom carry iwb because it just isn't comfortable for me.I do have some of the same holsters druryj talked about and they are all good.I prefer the Milt sparks summer special 2 to all of them.I have a TT gunleather Mikes special because I prefer the loops.The one thing I don't like about the Mikes special is the way the loops attach to the holster.He uses a type of Chicago screw or barrel bolt.Mine is out of commission right now because I lost one and the other stripped out.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@sedona, just call Tim Thurner and ask him to ship you the parts. Or take a picture of the holster and send it to me so I can see what you are missing; I will look in my holster parts box that has many of those kinds of things and send them to you if I have them.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seldom carry iwb because it just isn't comfortable for me.I do have some of the same holsters druryj talked about and they are all good.I prefer the Milt sparks summer special 2 to all of them.I have a TT gunleather Mikes special because I prefer the loops.The one thing I don't like about the Mikes special is the way the loops attach to the holster.He uses a type of Chicago screw or barrel bolt.Mine is out of commission right now because I lost one and the other stripped out.

You can find Chicago screws. I keep a bunch for a couple of headstalls I have that are put together with them. I think I get mine at the saddle shop in the stockyards.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@sedona, just call Tim Thurner and ask him to ship you the parts. Or take a picture of the holster and send it to me so I can see what you are missing; I will look in my holster parts box that has many of those kinds of things and send them to you if I have them.
I sent him an email a few days ago and should have the screws in a week or so.I had put Loctite on them but the screws he uses for that holster seem kind of cheap.I like the holster.Just don't like the way the loops are attached to it.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate your help.

I'm going to start with two of your recommendations from above for the .45 and depending on how I like carrying that gun, I may get two more for the 9 & .40. I'm going with the Vedder and the TT Gunleather.

Again, I appreciate your insight and your suggestions.

I got my Vedder Light Tuck in today.

It's really nice.

I need to lose a couple lbs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom