Sad Demise Of a Great Doctor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know...

...a friend of ours is in the horse racing business and says that veterinarians can prescribe some of the same medicines that human doctors can, so maybe going to a vet for a prescription might not be so bad? I'm pretty sure one's insurance wouldn't pay for it, but what do I know? I don't go to a vet.

Many of those drugs are available without a scrip from the vet supply store, sometimes cheaper than even the copay from the pharmacy. You may have to do a little math to get the right dosage (different weight pills), but they're generally made in the same factory to the same standards.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many of those drugs are available without a scrip from the vet supply store, sometimes cheaper than even the copay from the pharmacy. You may have to do a little math to get the right dosage (different weight pills), but they're generally made in the same factory to the same standards.
Which ones might that be? I ask because as of the beginning of 2018 we ranchers lost easy access to a lot of stuff. Even simple things like oxytetracycline now require a vet script on file.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which ones might that be? I ask because as of the beginning of 2018 we ranchers lost easy access to a lot of stuff. Even simple things like oxytetracycline now require a vet script on file.
I may be working from outdated information, but last I heard, amoxicillin (most of the -cyllins, actually) and azithromycin ("Z-pack") were still readily available.

As a rancher, though, I'm sure you're more up to date than I am, and I'll concede to your knowledge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom