Safer way to unload a handgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doh! Right you are--I really should double check before posting late night xD

Have you considered putting an enlarged or extended slide release on the G26?

I drop the mag and hold hand over ejection port when racking slide with hand under magwell...bullet falls into your hand. No catching flying objects or stuff off the ground.

Do you lock the slide back while doing this? We shouldn't really be worried about catching rounds in the air, rounds hitting the floor or keeping them from doing either of those things. We should only be concerned with clearing the weapon and making it safe.

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@HiredHand I have, and will likely do so in the near future. After having used an aftermarket guide rod and recoil spring and having several malfunctions at the range (after switching back to the stock components the gun was reliable) I am leery of aftermarket goodies on my carry pistol. Granted, an extended slide release is about as low-impact on reliability as it gets, so I will likely get one in the future to see how much of a difference it makes.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
@Hawkman I use the G34 slide release, which is a factory Glock part. It's just a tiny bit more to get your finger on and makes dropping the slide noticeably easier. No aftermarket parts either. I do the same with the G34 mag release.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Clint demonstrates administrative loading and unloading in this video. He's specifically mentions why you might not want to be in the habit of covering the ejection port while unloading the handgun.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So maybe I dont look like such a doofus now for letting a round hit the ground sometimes when clearing? Hmmm. I have XDs and its pretty much what I do unless I get lucky and catch em.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always take the magazine out first, rack the slide, let the round fall to the floor. I lock the slide open and visually check the chamber to assure that it is not loaded. I then insert my pinky into the barrel to physically check the bore. It's not unusual for my to point the firearm at the ceiling and try to see light through the barrel, depending on the firearm. I rack the slide a few more times and then dry fire it down range once. Then it is clear, in my mind.

Of course, a gun is always loaded.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uhhh. No. Go to Youtube and search "ATF Agent shoots self". If you are a NavySealArmyRangerSuperSniperNinja, maybe. Extremely dangerous especially with new shooters, small, hard to manipulate slide locks etc.
If you rack the slide to empty the chamber before removing the magazine and fumble with it and let the slide slip, you are back where you started with a loaded gun.

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Hawkman I use the G34 slide release, which is a factory Glock part. It's just a tiny bit more to get your finger on and makes dropping the slide noticeably easier. No aftermarket parts either. I do the same with the G34 mag release.

Thanks for the tip! Will the 34 mag release and slide lock work on all other Glock pistols with the same frame size?

Latest posts

Top Bottom