Safety 1st Concealed Carry Matches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The conceal carry matches at Safety 1st are great practice using your every day carry gear. You will learn if your current setup works well or not, including carrying additional mags, and accessing them during the course of fire.

The shirts over the targets is something that I really like and think they should keep. Shirts over the targets reinforce and "make" me call the shot based on the front sight, because going through a shirt you will not see your hit "hole" on the target.

Now here is a real conversation I had with a conceal carry holder, with me asking him about the gun he carried because I was thinking about getting the same one. I told him that I had rented one to try and found that I did not shoot it well at all. I asked him how well he shot that gun, his answer was "I don't know". He'd only shot it at a dirt berm just to shoot it. So he carries the gun but has no idea if he would be proficient with it, much less if in a stressful situation. Makes me wonder how many other CCW holders are out there like that.

Anyone who carries should practice and become not only proficient with their gear, but also comfortable with drawing from concealment with their holster of choice, accessing mags from concealment for mag changes, as well as strong and weak hand shooting.

The matches at Safety 1st let you accomplish all of those things under the stress of the timer on the course of fire, with some courses of fire in low light conditions.

We are lucky to have this type of match in the metro. I would encourage anyone to come shoot the match, you will be better for it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The low light was the most eye opening for CC practice. Those with night sights ruled the range. Those of us with master blasters got blinded with the first shot, and just pumped some rounds down range hoping for a hit. If you have never shot at night, Trust me, do it.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The low light was the most eye opening for CC practice. Those with night sights ruled the range. Those of us with master blasters got blinded with the first shot, and just pumped some rounds down range hoping for a hit. If you have never shot at night, Trust me, do it.
Interesting. My experience was very different on the low light stages. I had night sights and I felt they offered very little benefit. I believe the guy who took first place had fiber optic sights. We had everything from rmr to stock Glock sights. No one made any comments on their sights outside of the one with the rmr. There was no discernible difference in scoring from people with night sights and those without that I noticed. Last time I shot there I had a similar experience with night sights.

However it's a Small sample size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. My experience was very different on the low light stages. I had night sights and I felt they offered very little benefit. I believe the guy who took first place had fiber optic sights. We had everything from rmr to stock Glock sights. No one made any comments on their sights outside of the one with the rmr. There was no discernible difference in scoring from people with night sights and those without that I noticed. Last time I shot there I had a similar experience with night sights.

However it's a Small sample size.

Are you talking about just plain fiber optic three dots or some TFO's?

Latest posts

Top Bottom