Salt pork, beef, or any meat....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fallbackpuppet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting!! I love doing stuff like this and seeing how it goes. Thanks for sharing. I can hardly wait to hear how it is at 9 months.
9 months still no off taste or smell and was edible after the same process used at the 6 month point. Very thin pieces fry up very similarly to bacon but I think its best use is as an additive to fried potatoes, beans, or soup where it is one flavor among others. By itself it is very onenote salt with a porky aftertaste. Doubling the quantity of fresh water and time in all methods for destalinization doesn't seem to help more than the original method used at 6 months.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also while the texture was a little rubbery and strange the pork taste like cheep yellow and black label bacon. Essentially salt with just the hint of pork on the back end (once you get enough out to eat it). Very one dimensional. I am going to try soaking the meat in a sugar water next time and see if that helps the flavor any.
Soaking is crucial and several water changes are needed. You don't need the sugar though. Save it for better use.

Fallbackpuppet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
13 month update. Still no off putting smells and the meat looks essentially the same as it did at 6 months or 9 months. After following the rinse procedure with some there was no discernable difference at 13 months to the 9 month trial. Doubling the rinse procedure over the course of a few days also didn't seem to make a difference. I think there is a point in the preservation process where the meat essentially hits its final form and a point in the clearing process where the meat just won't give up any more salt. Still very edible and significantly better than going hungry.
One thing I did notice is the farther down in the bucket I get the more clumped and concrete like the salt is. I am assuming this is because this is the area where all the removed moisture wound up after during the curing process.
This was a very very old dry salt pork method. Essentially just layers of salt and meat. will be butchering another pig some time in the next couple months when I get a free weekend and I will try a wet salt pork method. It looks very similar to a bacon or ham brine but a lot more salty with no spices or sugar, but it does call for just a little sodium nitrite (less than modern ham or bacon recipes by volume). Should I start a new thread for that or just update here when I get it done?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very interesting.
I did a bit of deer meat in an ice chest and covered it all with salt.
Months later when I removed it there was no off smell just salt and a bit of meat smell.

It just tasted like salt though even when I smoked it..smoked salt lick.
I did not try and soak any salt out of it though.
Never thought of that.

Fallbackpuppet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very interesting.
I did a bit of deer meat in an ice chest and covered it all with salt.
Months later when I removed it there was no off smell just salt and a bit of meat smell.

It just tasted like salt though even when I smoked it..smoked salt lick.
I did not try and soak any salt out of it though.
Never thought of that.
You have to soak it, boil it, or use another method for removing the salt. If you don't it is inedible.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
13 month update. Still no off putting smells and the meat looks essentially the same as it did at 6 months or 9 months. After following the rinse procedure with some there was no discernable difference at 13 months to the 9 month trial. Doubling the rinse procedure over the course of a few days also didn't seem to make a difference. I think there is a point in the preservation process where the meat essentially hits its final form and a point in the clearing process where the meat just won't give up any more salt. Still very edible and significantly better than going hungry.
One thing I did notice is the farther down in the bucket I get the more clumped and concrete like the salt is. I am assuming this is because this is the area where all the removed moisture wound up after during the curing process.
This was a very very old dry salt pork method. Essentially just layers of salt and meat. will be butchering another pig some time in the next couple months when I get a free weekend and I will try a wet salt pork method. It looks very similar to a bacon or ham brine but a lot more salty with no spices or sugar, but it does call for just a little sodium nitrite (less than modern ham or bacon recipes by volume). Should I start a new thread for that or just update here when I get it done?
Thank you for keeping us updated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom