Salt water fishing ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to take my bride of 42 years on our "first ever" salt water fishing trip......it tickles me to death watching her get excited just seeing a bobber go under when bluegill fishing and I'd really like to show her a good time.

I'm thinking about the Galveston area but when looking for guides on Google there are hundreds of them and each one claims to be the best so what I'm looking for is recommendations.......ie name and telephone number.

She will not cast a lure all day so we'd want a guide that bait fishes over reefs, wrecks or by platforms etc......someplace where there are a lot of active fish and where there is someplace calm to fish if the ocean is really rolling .

It's just the two of us so we don't want to bring home a ton of fish, just a few to eat and then catch and release the rest.......we're not particular on the species, I just want her to get her rod bent a lot and have a good time.

I'm thinking drive down one day (Google says 8 hours) and fish two days 1/2 day each......I'm not opposed to fishing one full day but I think it would be more enjoyable for her if we fished two 1/2 days.

We're not interested in one of those multi people fishing / party boats, we'd like just us and a guide.......what are the going prices for 1/2 or full day of guided fishing for two people ?

Not only have we never been salt water fishing but we've also never been to the Galveston area so I'm also open to suggestions on things to do when not fishing, good (not 5 Start) hotels to stay, good places to eat etc.

We could leave at any time but when is the best time of year to go weather and good fishing wise ?

Anybody got a name and number of a good guide ?

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me, I’d go a couple hours east of Galveston towards LA, as they typically have higher fish rates on certain species such as speckled trout and the guide rates are lower. We go out of Port Aransas, TX every year with these guys on the Express (Capt Tim or his son Timmy) boat for the 12 hour: https://dolphindocks.com/

$150 a person for the 12. It’s the absolute least expensive way to get to the big ocean for large fish. We don’t always limit, but we always catch some good fish.

I wish I could give more info on way east Texas, west Louisiana fishing. We’ve been planning to get over there for a couple years, but haven’t been able to put a trip together.

We all avoid Galveston like the plague.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 of the men from work just returned last week from a Galveston ? trip.. They caught 30 + black and yellow fin tuna, sharks, grouper and some others.. I'll try to get the name when I go back to work tomorrow..

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recommend going during the week if possible. There's fewer idiots. The East end of Galveston will give you more bites this time of year. I grew up on the West end around Sea Isle. There is some really good fishing at Sea Wolf park. Flounder, trout and Redfish are my main focus so that's what I call good fishing. You can find hardheads and sheepshead bout anytime and anywhere. They will pull your pole if that's what ya want. DONT PUT YOUR FINGERS IN ANY SALTWATER FISHES MOUTH. Seawolf is a really good spot to fish if you don't have a boat. We fish it from a boat too. Also the concrete tanker s.s Selma is partially sunk just off the shore. We fish it a lot too on outgoing tide.

http://www.galvestontx.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/Seawolf-Park-on-Pelican-Island-3

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not been since I was a kid but this is the time of year to try fishing for King Mackerel. A nice sport fish and good eating too. My father and I would go trolling for them in Galveston Bay and often caught other species from tuna to sharks.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I second Port Aransas.

Attachments

• 4E6DFEC3-3806-4649-B6E4-F4EEF8C61313.jpeg
    4E6DFEC3-3806-4649-B6E4-F4EEF8C61313.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 4603D80B-9765-4D8B-9F35-753566B83EB2.jpeg
    4603D80B-9765-4D8B-9F35-753566B83EB2.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 112

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Red Snapper season is closed but can still be caught and released. Saltwater fish are some hard fighting fish. I can't really help you if you want a private charter and want to stay inshore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom