Sam’s / Walmart / O’Reilly deliveries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No way he made anything on that delivery.

IRS "allows" $0.62. An accountant will tell you, $0.98 to $1.38 mile is more realistic.

Daughter gets $0.65 / mile or she can use the car pool, when at work.
Kept telling her to use their car, she liked seeing the mileage pay on her check.
She got a new car, couple of months after her Mom. At 6 months, she had 20k miles on it. Mom's had 4k. Asked her how long she expected the car to last.

Now, she drives to work, drives their car all day, then drives her's home.

Goobermint says inflation is 8%, when it is 18%.
Goobermint "allows" $0.62,
$1.38 is closer to truth.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I signed up with UpWork about the time I retired thinking I might pick up a little side money.
So far 3 years later I haven’t done one gig with it.

The most anyone offered was $35 for a trip down to Ada to photo a Repo House for a OKC realtor who told me it was too far for them to drive. Told them I couldn’t hardly drive down there and back from my house and clear any money at that price. Never heard back from them. 😁

I’ve had a bunch of $20-25 offers. One offered $5 and I could take up to a month to do it.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are getting private contractors delivering packages to our home. Mostly Amazon as they opened up a small distribution center in Ponca last year. Not sure I like that.
We are very isolated. The normal UPS, USPS and FedEx drivers know to just leave the packages at the garage, but the new contract drivers deliver them to the front door which requires walking past our front windows that are from floor to ceiling and 10' wide. Some avert their eyes, but most take a look and some even wave at us inside.
I've usually got the shop doors open during the day but have got into the habit of keeping them closed now so nobody can see what's inside them.
Our "isolated" location is pretty much under observation by people that we don't know which makes me uncomfortable. We have a great security system that covers inside and outside the home but you never know who may bring a package and come back later for a second trip to do/steal whatever.
We don't have any of the Amazon lockers in Ponca that I'm aware of, but if there was, I'd be a user to stop this traffic.

As handy as you seem to be, you might build a small hut at the end of the drive where they can leave their packages. I see lots of those where there is a long driveway. Wouldn’t be too hard for a cat like you. Just thinking out loud here.

JH47

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tractor supply has rewards for their good neighbor program. 2 same day deliveries each quarter if you meet their requirements.
I have had items delivered the same day but the last time they didn't deliver. I called them up and they said to wait a few days and see if it gets delivered.

That prompted me to ring up their main headquarters. Got a $25 gift certificate out of it. I'm so far away I imagine I'll be calling again the next time I use my same day reward.
Tractor Supply uses the Roadie app for their deliveries. The pay starts out terrible and then gets better the longer it sits unclaimed. It still pays so low that you have to be driving that way already for it to pay you to take the load. The TSC loads are pretty terribly described and a lot of times are loads you know will require equipment to unload with no guarantee it will be available at the drop-off. I've seen riding mowers categorized as fitting in a pickup bed, which reduces the rate paid, when they know full well you would need a trailer to haul it.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tractor Supply uses the Roadie app for their deliveries. The pay starts out terrible and then gets better the longer it sits unclaimed. It still pays so low that you have to be driving that way already for it to pay you to take the load. The TSC loads are pretty terribly described and a lot of times are loads you know will require equipment to unload with no guarantee it will be available at the drop-off. I've seen riding mowers categorized as fitting in a pickup bed, which reduces the rate paid, when they know full well you would need a trailer to haul it.
Yes I know about the roadie . If it is advertised as same day deliveries, that is what I expect. That is what tractor supply advertised. If they can't deliver then don't offer it.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
There's big money in it. DoorDash, GrubHub, Instacart, and the like saw their business boom during the Rona times, and they got people used to the idea of getting pretty much anything delivered (it's not just pizza for college kids pulling an all-nighter anymore). The Walmarts and Sam's have gotten into it, too, though I don't know if they're sending out employees or contracting through one of the other services. Amazon is contracting out a lot, if not most, of their delivery.

Heck, we don't have any Krogers, but we have Kroger Delivery. As best I can tell, they have a logistics center in OKC, but I've seen their delivery vans as far south as Lexington.

As for tipping, I don't know about Sam's, but most of the delivery services have a place for you to put in a tip when you're checking out. When I order stuff delivered (except for places like Amazon), I do include a tip for the driver.

The one that gets me is apps asking if I want to add a tip when I'm ordering take-out. Umm, I'm providing the service on that deal, so why would I leave a tip for my work?
Big money I it but not for those doing the actual delivery.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Big money I it but not for those doing the actual delivery.
To continue with my whining, Doordash inflates menu prices too and isn't transparent about it, which is annoying to me. So they mark up prices, charge the restaurant some percentage that's enough that places complain about it, and then charge a delivery fee on top.

Drivers get the fee and tip, but I'd bet if you looked at the hourly net, it wouldn't be great.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I signed up with UpWork about the time I retired thinking I might pick up a little side money.
So far 3 years later I haven’t done one gig with it.

The most anyone offered was $35 for a trip down to Ada to photo a Repo House for a OKC realtor who told me it was too far for them to drive. Told them I couldn’t hardly drive down there and back from my house and clear any money at that price. Never heard back from them. 😁

I’ve had a bunch of $20-25 offers. One offered $5 and I could take up to a month to do it.

My son does the repo house thing. He has driven to Ada, but he puts them off until he has 3 or 4 and gets $100 each.

Takes the pics and makes sure it is locked. The pics will denote any needed repairs, trees trimmed, grass mowed and submit a "bid". When he goes, he ends up $900 + for the day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom