Sand Plums

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took the family out fishing at American Horse lake today and spotted a few sand plums. Figured I'd check the 1/2 acre of them on the back if my place and found none. 3rd year in a row I haven't had any fruit on mine. Do I need to thin them out or has the weather just not been good for them latley?? I'm afraid I'm gonna have to start rationing the last few jars of jelly.

Good news, we picked a Wal-Mart sack of blackberries on the way back. Cobbler is in the oven!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a ton of them in this neck of the woods. Some of them are starting to ripen already and we'll be picking them this week. They make the best jelly!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a patch on our driveway, and my favorite place to pick is on public ground at Kaw lake.
Nothing this year. Late freeze? don't know.
Last year we had a thread on there about late season plums It was September if I remember right when I spotted a patch of ripe ones, and picked a few. Don't have a clue why that happened.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Very hit or miss around here this year, pretty much zero last year. We've still got a dozen jars of jelly from 3 years ago though. Got one more patch to check in the next couple of days.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have them all over the place in Bryan county. No idea what the crop is like as I am back in India again :(

Spent my few weeks at home fishing when i got the chance rather that tromping for plums. Morels were a bust this year as well :(

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody want to send me a seedling (or, failing that, cuttings)? I'd love to start a couple here at home.
They are slow growing. Really slow growing.
I bought 50 bare root seedlings from the Okla dept of forestry and planted a patch on one of the farms to give the quail some cover, two years ago, and they are just now putting on limbs and starting to grow upward. It will be a couple more years before they put on fruit.
Once established, they are a rhizome and you go around the patch with a disk to cut the roots, and expand the patch that way. It will be a couple of years before the patch is ready for that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom