Sand Plums

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So dumb question, I haven’t picked sand plums since I was a kid. Found a whole bunch I think. Are these both the same tree plant, and they’re sand plums, right? The fruit looks identical, and the leaves are similar shapes, but there’s a noticeable size difference in terms of the leaves and stalks.

Attachments

• 7068FDB7-4FCE-4C28-9541-E97C57163D34.jpeg
    7068FDB7-4FCE-4C28-9541-E97C57163D34.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 67
  • EC3852B9-AD8B-42C5-A888-E47CC7693A9A.jpeg
    EC3852B9-AD8B-42C5-A888-E47CC7693A9A.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 67

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So dumb question, I haven’t picked sand plums since I was a kid. Found a whole bunch I think. Are these both the same tree plant, and they’re sand plums, right? The fruit looks identical, and the leaves are similar shapes, but there’s a noticeable size difference in terms of the leaves and stalks.
Yep pick away, redder the better :)

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
went out looking today in the ditches besides the road and didn't find any, but i didn't look too hard. i used to clean out the thickets down by the canadian river in norman. might have to go back there and see if some are around.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
went out looking today in the ditches besides the road and didn't find any, but i didn't look too hard. i used to clean out the thickets down by the canadian river in norman. might have to go back there and see if some are around.

Looks like you need to put a tracker on @HoLeChit, lol.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like you need to put a tracker on @HoLeChit, lol.
Haha I’m down around Marietta at the moment. Cross timbers wma has about a mile stretch of them lining the road both sides pretty solid. I did just about have a 3 foot snake flail is way into my arms though, and I’ve picked up enough sand spurs to replace the grass in my lawn.

going out and picking sand plums is great for the middle of they day when it’s too hot to find anything to shoot.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha I’m down around Marietta at the moment. Cross timbers wma has about a mile stretch of them lining the road both sides pretty solid. I did just about have a 3 foot snake flail is way into my arms though, and I’ve picked up enough sand spurs to replace the grass in my lawn.

going out and picking sand plums is great for the middle of they day when it’s too hot to find anything to shoot.
Don't those fall under the same regulations as morels? I'm under the impression it's illegal to take anything off of WMAs.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't those fall under the same regulations as morels? I'm under the impression it's illegal to take anything off of WMAs.
I’ll double check the regs, but I haven’t seen anything. The only thing I’ve seen about the morels is a sign at the gate at Lexington.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
You’re right.

It shall be unlawful to cut, dig, damage or remove any crops, trees, shrubs, timber (includ- ing dead standing trees), water, gravel, sand, earth, rocks, minerals or other natural resourc- es other than legally harvested fish and wild- life from Department-managed lands without prior written approval from the Department. Removal of such resources from National Forest lands is subject to the regulations of the U.S. Forest Service.
Looks like I’m taking all these sandplums and returning them to their home once I get up in the morning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom