SASS Cowboy Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My family got started shooting CAS about a year ago. We got started with one set of pistols. A set of Ruger new Vaqueros. Everything else was other peoples stuff. We had more folks offering us guns and equipment than we needed. It was certainly a warming experience. Like Calamity said, Flat top will get you all set up and that first shoot is even free!

We have since picked up three sets of guns and spares, three sets of leather and several costumes for each member. I've added up the money spent on the sport and it's no small number, but the the folks are perhaps the most friendly group I've ever known.

I would highly recommend you show up, show interest and have fun. You don't have to be a top 3 shooter to have a great time. Remember, the VAST majority of cowboy shooters aren't uber fast. HEck, most don't even practice that much. They are there to have fun and enjoy each others company. We do that in spades!

BTW - My alias is Hurriane Deck. my wife is Cherokee Miss and my daughter is Purdy Tall.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been in it since 2000, I don't get to shoot much anymore due to other obligations, but I've had more fun shooting SASS than about anything else. My startup cost wasn't too bad as I already had a SXS and one revolver. I usually shoot Frontiersman, which is cap and ball revolvers, and BP in rifle and shotgun. Like any other shooting sport, you'll find the occasional A-hole, but they are VERY RARE in SASS. You can shoot side by side with World Champions and they will be giving you advice on how to improve. They will loan you their gun if yours breaks. I am always amazed at the skill level of the top shooters. They can shoot a full 24 round stage in under 13 seconds. I'm happy if I beat 60 seconds. :) Here's an iCam video of me shooting a stage up at Red Castle a couple of years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH5ixVEtPz8

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Most folks shoot an 1873 or an 1866. the model 92 is also popular, but takes third place. There are folks who shoot the Henry Big Boy, it's a fine rifle but it has it's limitations as far as speed is concerned - at leas that what I've been told.

I've not seen anyone shooting one yet, but they sure are pretty. I wanted a brass receivered rifle, so I bought an 1866. the 92 is a good entry level rifle, but it is very OAL sensitive.

For the most part though, I shoot an 1873. it's been heavily worked on and made "race ready"

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Henry Big Boy has left a sour taste in a lot of SASS members mouths due to their advertising. They advertised it as SASS legal before SASS approved it. Lot's of folks didn't like that. A few people use them, some are happy with them, some are not. Go to the SASSWire and do a search and read some of the comments. Henry just released their version of the actual 1860 Henry rifle. Very pretty, very expensive. I'd love to have one, as they are American made. Mine is a Uberti. I started with, and still shoot a Rossi '92. While they will never be as fast as a slicked up '73 or '66, they can be smoothed up very nicely. I bought the CD and spring kit from Stevesgunz, did the work myself and love the rifle more than I ever did. In fact my '92 is my favorite rifle to carry. Very light, well balanced, and the front sight comes up when I shoulder it. I don't like guns that force me to look for the front sight.

jchip123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a Rossi 92 44/40 with black powder, I put a tune kit in right after I got it and can honestly say you can't ask for a smoother shooting gun, much better than the new Winchesters and half the price.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done CAS for over 22 years, my favorite caliber is 45C and 44-40, YMMV, my wife shoots 38sp.
The guns required are: 2 pistols 32cal up to 45C, a lever action rifle chambered in a pistol caliber
and a side by side double barrel shotgun 16 20 or 12 ga. or and 1897 winchester pump or the norinco knock off.
You'll need an alias you can't use your sir name.
Come to our next match on the 2nd Saturday this month(9:00)or forth sunday dressed in wangler style jeans, cowboy boots,
long sleeve shirt and a cowboy hat, tell Flat Top(our director) you want to shoot but don't have guns yet
he will have or will get guns and ammo for you to shoot.
Or you can hang around until they are finish then they will let you shoot some.
I would be there the second Sat. but I have a funeral to go to.
Come on out it's lots of fun!!

Go here: www.sassnet.com/ for all the rules.

My alias here is my CAS alias. and yes I am kin to Calamity Jean (I have proof.)

I sure appreciate that! And, may take you up on it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom