Sausage recipe suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I wanna make some sausage. I have 5# of pork, a cabinet of random spices, a grinder and sausage stuffer.
Any good recipes for a first timer?

I've found recipes for Italian Sausage, Chrorizo and Pepperoni....and I'm thinking some jalapeno cheddar might be good to try too. Anybody have a favorite they want to share?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used to get a sausage spice mix from a local slaughter house that sold products in the front. Best we ever made at home.

Tip: You can also make beef/deer/etc. sausage with the same spices as pork sausage. ;)

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20289763_1603554899689733_1922616663_n.jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So google says I can "cure" the sausage at low heat in the oven...lowest my oven will go is 170 so tomorrow I'm gonna run it in the oven for 4 or 5 hours (the jalapeno cheddar).
The italian sausage I'll leave "fresh" and cook as needed as the stuff I've bought at the store was raw also.
20228256_1603624403016116_8763367358495548213_n.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK I dug my version of forum member 1Shott's Summer Sausage up. I may have tweaked it a bit but it's pretty close to his. It's pretty basic and doesn't sound all that special but it's actually very good. Some of the best I've had actually. It's on par with Robertson's Hams in Marietta or out on east I-40 by the Seminole exit (I think). I've made it a couple of times and need to do it again. I want to add some jalapeno and cheese next time. I've done double batches of this and vacuum sealed to freeze. It'll keep a lonnnnnngggggg time that way.

This recipe is for 2lb batches, double it as needed.

You need 1 key ingredient to make this, Mortons Tender Quick, WARNING DO NOT USE TABLE SALT, KOSHER SALT OR SEA SALT, you must use the Tender Quick, this is what will "cook" the sausage mix before you finish it in the oven or your smoker.

Ingredient list:

2lbs ground meat.
2 tablespoons Tender Quick.
1/4 to 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon liquid smoke. (OMIT if cooking in a smoker)
1 tablespoon mustard seed, whole.
1 tablespoon peppercorns or ground black pepper.

3/4 cup of water.

Mix all of the ingredients together and kneed for about 5 minutes, use your hands for this.
Place in a covered bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight.

Divide mix into 3rds, and form 3 rolls. Take 1 bottle of Worcestershire sauce and pour over the rolls of sausage and marinade for 20 minutes.

Bake in a 250 degree oven or smoker for 1 1/2 hours. Place these on a wire rack with a sheet pan under them to catch the drippings.

After they are finished, wrap them in paper towels for 30 minutes to soak up any extra fat, and place in the refrigerator overnight to firm up and allow the fat to set.

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This recipe is for 2lb batches, double it as needed.

You need 1 key ingredient to make this, Mortons Tender Quick, WARNING DO NOT USE TABLE SALT, KOSHER SALT OR SEA SALT, you must use the Tender Quick, this is what will "cook" the sausage mix before you finish it in the oven or your smoker.

Ingredient list:

2lbs ground meat.
2 tablespoons Tender Quick.
1/4 to 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon liquid smoke. (OMIT if cooking a smoker)
1 tablespoon mustard seed, whole.
1 tablespoon peppercorns or ground black pepper.

3/4 cup of water.

Mix all of the ingredients together and kneed for about 5 minutes, use your hands for this.
Place in a covered bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight.

Divide mix into 3rds, and form 3 rolls. Take 1 bottle of Worcestershire sauce and pour over the rolls of sausage and marinade for 20 minutes.

Bake in a 250 degree oven or smoker for 1 1/2 hours. Place these on a wire rack with a sheet pan under them to catch the drippings.

After they are finished, wrap them in paper towels for 30 minutes to soak up any extra fat, and place in the refrigerator overnight to firm up and allow the fat to set.
No sage?

Latest posts

Top Bottom