savage barrel swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Savage 114, in .30-06. I purchased it years ago (around 1993 ?), it's a pre-adjustable trigger model. I don't shoot it all that much, because, frankly, I don't like to get whacked on the shoulder every time I do.

I have plans to start casting for it, and have lots of brass, and a mould or 3. I don't really plan to ever shoot full-power from it.

Then, a few days ago I stumbled on the Shilen barrel site. They make a drop-in replacement, in an assortment of calibers and cartridges. I think I can do this myself, of course I'll need to find a barrel wrench and headspace gauge.

I'm considering replacing it with another barrel, but I'm stuck on the chambering.

I think I'll need to stay with a long-action (or do I ?), so that leaves out .308 Win, which was my first choice.

I'm not afraid of re-forming brass, but I don't want to get too far off in to wildcat-land.
6.5mm -06? Limited selection of projectiles and moulds.
7mm-06? This will give me a fairly good choice of moulds.

Something else ?

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You do not have to go long action.
Savage made long action .308 rifles. Buddy has one.

But if you are like some of us here you have the high powered rounds that can do whatever the 7mm-08 can do.
I have a 30-06 and I know the kick you speak of.
It is very accurate and I can send a 155 gr bullet to 3176 FPS reliably and very accurately.

My favorite load that I actually hit steel with at 500 yards is a cast load that runs a lee gas checked 170 gr bullet at 1400fps.
It sounds like a firecracker going off.
11.5gr of Red Dot..no filler needed Annealed R-P cases LEE Alox lube. I have not tried powder coated in it yet.
CCI 200 primers. Just enough crimp to remove the flare.

I have had many people shoot that round from my gun and you can't seem to get the gun away from them.
It is that much fun. 20 rounds down the pipe and the barrel is cooler than 1 round of regular 30-06 ammo.

If I make 50 rounds of that cast load to take to the range it is not enough if you let someone shoot it.
I even tried many of my other bullets with that load that were jacketed bullets.
Velocity was less ..like in the 1300 and mid 1200 fps area and accuracy was not as good.
Those were tested at 100 yards.

The Red Dot powder "THE LOAD" calls for 13 gr i think, I found 11.5 was much more accurate.
I would leave it alone and try some cast.

I have some bullets if you want to try it.

Ringing steel at 500 yards I had to set my scope on 4X and hold a bit over the target 18x18 plate.
Took probably 12 rounds before I got my drop figured out then hit the steel then hit it with the next shot. Then I missed it
then another shot and I hit it again.
I call that a win in the fun factor game.

It did not go TING on the steel It went Thud.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you just really want to play with another caliber, I'm with @swampratt ... make it a cast bullet gun. You've already got some molds. Buy some others if you wish. Try powder coating those bullets, if you haven't already. I would not go to the trouble and expense of re-barreling it unless you just really want a different caliber.:twocents:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Lyman 311041, which is very similar to the Lee of which you speak; if I'm not mistaken.

I think I'll try that first, going with cast. Always better to use what I have.

I tried The Load with pulled 148gr jacketed. Wasn't all that impressed. Maybe it was too hot.
Either way, I think I'll just clean all the copper out, and convert to strictly cast.

I never knew Savage built a long action 308.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Savage 114, in .30-06. I purchased it years ago (around 1993 ?), it's a pre-adjustable trigger model. I don't shoot it all that much, because, frankly, I don't like to get whacked on the shoulder every time I do.

I have plans to start casting for it, and have lots of brass, and a mould or 3. I don;t really plan to ever shoot full-power from it.

Then, a few days ago, I stumbled on the Shilen barrel site. They make a drop-in replacement, in an assortment of calibers and cartridges. I think I can do this myself, of course I'll need to find a barrel wrench and headspace gauge.

I'm considering replacing it with another barrel, but I'm stuck on the chambering.

I think I'll need to stay with a long-action (or do I ?), so that leaves out .308 Win, which was my first choice.

I'm not afraid of re-forming brass, but I don't want to get too far off in to wildcat-land.
6.5mm -08? Limited selection of projectiles and moulds.
7mm-08 ? This will give me a fairly good choice of moulds.

Something else ?
I have a wrench if you need!!!! PM if so

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a wrench as well swapped into a 250AI savage. Easy to do if you want but I'd try the cast first

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom