Savage barrel swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an older model 12 savage in 223 with a 26" heavy barrel. I'm thinking about swapping a 16" 300 blackout barrel on to it. I've never done it and looking for advise on doing the swap, including a good barrel to use. Of course threaded.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If ;you google search there are a few makers that make pre chambered replacement barrels. You would need a barrel nut wrench, a holding
fixture to hold the gun, a torque wrench, and head space gauge for your caliber. Breaking the barrel nut loose is usually the hardest part.
If it sounds to hard, you can take it to a gun smith.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an older model 12 savage in 223 with a 26" heavy barrel. I'm thinking about swapping a 16" 300 blackout barrel on to it. I've never done it and looking for advise on doing the swap, including a good barrel to use. Of course threaded.
You will love the .300 blackout SPD in Stillwater can do the barrel if you need he is a good smith.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have put Criterion and Shilen from Northland Shooters Supply on several and all have performed very well, both an older and newer model receivers.
Sometimes that nut can be difficult to get off.
As inexpensive as they are I just get a new one with the new tube. One I took apart I think they bead blasted it after the barreled assembly had the headspacing set as there was a lot of bead blasting material in the threads on both the receiver and barrel/nut. Needless to say it took quite some time to work that out of the receiver.
For safety sake do get The headspace plugs and set the barrel correctly. It is not a difficult process but it is something that if done incorrectly can have horrific consequences.
And yes, first one I ever did we wire tied it to a lead sled and yanked the fishing line from safe distance with nobody else on the line.
Do be warned, it is addictive, you will be lurking in the dark corners of the classifieds waiting to spring on a donor action or parts....................

Kev1Doggy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I changed my barrel myself in the garage, 308 to 6.5 CM . Wasnt hard other than my savage had a smooth nut and its hard to get off. I have seen some barrel kits that came with head space gages and a wrench. You should buy a presicion kick lug also the one on my gun was horrible looking thing from the factory.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not difficult at all. I just put a 223 barrel on and am waiting for my 284 win barrel. You just need the barrel and gauges. Some swap the recoil lug and barrel nut while it's apart. If your near Choctaw I've got a nss action wrench and barrel nut wrench your welcome to use.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6059E5A4-7830-4CA4-93F7-9AD05A8287FC.png

Easy and fun to do. E Arthur Brown is another source for parts.
This one left the factory as an axis 2. Stainless 06, picked up from member here (Thanks Rex!)
Found a large shank creedmore tube that was in the island of forgotten toys and gave it a ride to a local shop that trimmed the end to small shank diameter. I slipped it all together in an oryx chassis and have been hunting for 4350 ever since. (For the heavies, have enough scraps to hurl the 123 “seconds” towards the rams at red castle for practice)

Latest posts

Top Bottom