Savage/Stevens - Click-Clacks / Gill-guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At first I was getting what I could from Numrich or eBay. Then I stumbled across a basket case Sears 101.16 (same as the Savage 6a) that was everything but the receiver, barrel, and stock. Think I paid all of $30 for it all. If I managed to find those 3 parts I could build another one. I have also collected extra firing pins, springs, bolts, and hammers when I found them for cheap.

I need one of the circular operating knobs? (no clue if that's what they're called) The part that you grab and pull back to operate the bolt.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need one of the circular operating knobs? (no clue if that's what they're called) The part that you grab and pull back to operate the bolt.

That's the bolt knob, cocking knob, or charging knob. I've seen it called all those and more.

The bad news is they are one of the more expensive parts and there are many styles. I have seen at least 5 different ones and while technically they are all cross compatible I have found some of the larger knobs will drag on some stocks.

The larger knobs appear more desirable and are often more expensive while the smaller ones are usually a little cheaper.

the only one I see right now is one of the larger style knobs.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/STEVENS-SPRIN...bolt-Charging-Handle-/331656068872?nav=SEARCH

Last edited:

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have GOT to get busy on mine. These things are cool. First up for me will be to fix the jamming. Cartridge lifter will bend the fresh shell severely.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have GOT to get busy on mine. These things are cool. First up for me will be to fix the jamming. Cartridge lifter will bend the fresh shell severely.

The most common causes are either the lifter needs readjusted or the lifter spring is not installed correctly. The lifter stop will slowly bend over time allowing the lifter to over travel. The lifter should stop even with the top of the feed lips.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The most common causes are either the lifter needs readjusted or the lifter spring is not installed correctly. The lifter stop will slowly bend over time allowing the lifter to over travel. The lifter should stop even with the top of the feed lips.

I bet it's the lifter stop. The lifter does go up will past the feed lips. Thanks for the pointers.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a good collection of parts I found on ebay. It looks like a combination of Savage 6A/Stevens 87A and Stevens 187H-187J parts. Most of the parts are interchangeable between these models although the receiver caps are different. I see at least 1 charging knob and maybe a 2nd in the lot. A couple of bolts, a hammer, firing pin, lifter springs, trigger assembly and guards, takedown screw, and more...

Just thought I'd mention it for those that are looking for parts.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=301744432401&alt=web

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Neat little guns. I had one with a nylon/plastic stock. It was my first .22 rifle when I was 14. I think I paid $35 for it at the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom