Saved a bit on my Natural gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a little bit though as they cost/Dth went up again this month.
It was $7.589 in march and April it jumped to $8.055 and now jumped for may bill to $9.823.

I did use much less and only thing running for the last 2 months was my Water heater.
Last month I used 1.6 (Mcf) and this recent bill I used 1.1 (Mcf)

What I have done is turn the thermostat all the way off on the water heater after we take our morning showers.
It will hold the hot (warm) water until the next day with only the pilot.
I have the tank wrapped with 2 layers of aluminum bubble wrap type insulation and it is in the house.

But this bill was still $35.31 and last monthy was 40.41. Month before was 26.45 and i used 1.5 (Mcf)

They are forcing me to go electric and shut off my gas if this rate continues to increase. I do not even turn on the gas central furnace.
I hate to see some of the bills from people with a big family and gas heat they use.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use gas for our stove so can't turn it off but that's a good idea for limited use. I'm still pissed the 20 gallon propane went to 15 gallon and now a trade in that used to be $14.99 is up to 18.99. F*#$%rs!!

Firemedic712

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel your pain
Screenshot_20220410-062515_Chrome.jpg

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have seen in other places of the world where hot water is only available for about an hour every day. if you don't want a tankless unit then go electric and either put a timer on it or just turn it off. but basically your doing that now just not as convenient.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a little bit though as they cost/Dth went up again this month.
It was $7.589 in march and April it jumped to $8.055 and now jumped for may bill to $9.823.

I did use much less and only thing running for the last 2 months was my Water heater.
Last month I used 1.6 (Mcf) and this recent bill I used 1.1 (Mcf)

What I have done is turn the thermostat all the way off on the water heater after we take our morning showers.
It will hold the hot (warm) water until the next day with only the pilot.
I have the tank wrapped with 2 layers of aluminum bubble wrap type insulation and it is in the house.

But this bill was still $35.31 and last monthy was 40.41. Month before was 26.45 and i used 1.5 (Mcf)

They are forcing me to go electric and shut off my gas if this rate continues to increase. I do not even turn on the gas central furnace.
I hate to see some of the bills from people with a big family and gas heat they use.
electric wont help I have already purchased fans knowing electricity will skyrocket.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK folks. There are plenty of videos online, and written stories online, of obama looking right in the camera and saying that out of necessity rates must rise.

This go green save the environment stuff, and cap and trade, which he talked about, is making all utilities and energy to go up up up.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in late summer there was a thread here about opting in to ONGs fixed rate plan. Some said they had saved money by doing so in the past while others said they didn't. I started keeping an eye on the market price for NG and what so called experts predicted would happen over the winter. I waited to the last day to decide and did opt in at $4.54 p/dth. Man am I glad I did. Even though my bills are higher than last year, I have still saved over $200 by doing this so far.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Natural gas per equivalent btu is the most efficient and least expensive way to operate. If you switch to all electric you’ll be costing yourself the equipment plus more energy. No way would I do that.
Also, no way would I do what you’re doing OP to save $6-11 a month. Just my opinion and you’re entitled to do it in your house whatever it is you would like to do. If that makes you happy saving $5, then have at it. Just wouldn’t worry about it for us. Now save $30-50 and I’m on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom