Saved a bit on my Natural gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much same same here... #fjb!
Screenshot_20220406-185203_Chrome.jpg

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a little bit though as they cost/Dth went up again this month.
It was $7.589 in march and April it jumped to $8.055 and now jumped for may bill to $9.823.

I did use much less and only thing running for the last 2 months was my Water heater.
Last month I used 1.6 (Mcf) and this recent bill I used 1.1 (Mcf)

What I have done is turn the thermostat all the way off on the water heater after we take our morning showers.
It will hold the hot (warm) water until the next day with only the pilot.
I have the tank wrapped with 2 layers of aluminum bubble wrap type insulation and it is in the house.

But this bill was still $35.31 and last monthy was 40.41. Month before was 26.45 and i used 1.5 (Mcf)

They are forcing me to go electric and shut off my gas if this rate continues to increase. I do not even turn on the gas central furnace.
I hate to see some of the bills from people with a big family and gas heat they use.
Well what about running the dishwasher or the clothes washer during the day? Those require hot water.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use gas for our stove so can't turn it off but that's a good idea for limited use. I'm still pissed the 20 gallon propane went to 15 gallon and now a trade in that used to be $14.99 is up to 18.99. F*#$%rs!!
Don't exchange your tank, actually take it to a place that will fill it.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't exchange your tank, actually take it to a place that will fill it.
I did that for a while then started requiring the OPD valves that my 20's didn't have and places wouldn't fill it. Didn't have a choice to go with 15's. I could take the 15's to be filled - not sure how much that would save me though.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Natural gas has and will continue to rise since buydun announced the US would provide Europe with gas. They are paying close to $30 per mmbtu so of course the suppliers here want to sell it over there and all that will do is increase what we are paying here.

https://www.oklahomanaturalgas.com/rate-information/costofgas

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well what about running the dishwasher or the clothes washer during the day? Those require hot water.
dishwasher will heat the water and washing machine usually fills with hot and cold mix and the 40 gallon tank with what is left after showers is plenty.
And Tide will clean in cold or Cheer.
Just 2 of us here so not much to wash except on weekends.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys that think they will go electric are not going to like this little known fact, last time I check 42% of the electricity in the US is made with natural gas fired generators. The electric cost will escalate slower but it will go up about the time you get your electric car and instal that electric water heater.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I hear ya on that deal.
This water heater has been in the house since before we bought the house in 1998.
One day it will quit on me.
It did leak for a couple days a few years ago and I wrote it off as the leak sealed up.

Knock on wood.
I was thinking something.
I could place a bunch or pipe in the attic and plumb it to feed the water tank.
Valves positioned to not use it in the winter and let it drain.

Attic heat is real and will heat some pipe.
I figured 100 foot of 3" would be 40 gallons.
Just thinking out loud here.
I only have about 30 feet of 3" though.
I will not do it.
But was thinking you could do it and just turn the water tank heat off completely.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did that for a while then started requiring the OPD valves that my 20's didn't have and places wouldn't fill it. Didn't have a choice to go with 15's. I could take the 15's to be filled - not sure how much that would save me though.
When my tanks get rusty or messed up I will do an exchange. That way I have a new tank every few years. After I exchange, I then take the tanks to get a proper fill when I empty the 15 it came with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom