Saved a bit on my Natural gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate Swampratt’s efforts to tweak a little more savings/efficiency. It reminds me of my family and the time in which they lived, always looking for a way to save or get more usefulness out of something.

Dad told me that his best friend in HS (would have been the late 1950s) was playing around with getting more mpg from his old vehicle. Well, Dave decided he didn’t need all the cylinders firing to get around town and pulled the wires and plugs from the cylinders he didn’t need. If he had to go somewhere that he needed more power, he’d just stuff the spark plugs back in their holes and reconnect the wires. Dad said you could always tell when Dave was out driving because of the unique sound. Dave turned out to a real out of the box thinker and inventor during his life.
Unless in the 50’s he had a way to prevent fuel from entering those cylinders when no spark was present all he gained was rough idle, lack of acceleration and possible odor with a noticeable lack of mileage . He may have been smart enough to do it. I deleted the step down cylinder on my truck for fear of camshaft and lifter issues Chevrolet was having. The little bit extra MPG wasn’t worth it.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last I checked Obama isn’t the president. I’m pissed that ONG is turning the screws to us. We are like the 3rd largest producer of NG and their shortsightedness is costing us. Hopefully they aren’t the supplier for OG&E.
You're right, Barry Sotero is not the president at this time. That makes me happy.

However, ya gotta wonder who is behind the scenes running things with those 2 incompetent inept fools commonly known as Joe & The Ho.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And thanks to the US being so generous with our natural resources and buydun telling Europe we will provide them with energy, here you go.

US supply is helping stabilize the price in Europe and the producers here love the extra income from selling overseas.

30431872-FB88-4A14-A63A-3DFB71F6D35F.jpeg

However, it’s wreaking havoc on those of us who use NG and buy it here.

CD1B6F9B-E4F3-4E82-BEA3-453720595146.jpeg

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did another test and turned down the tank to luke warm.
I left it there all month and saved another couple bucks but the wife hates luke warm showers.

Lol I'm with her! I don't mind a cooler shower or bath in summer -- makes my achy arthritic joints feel better. But in winter it's the opposite -- that warm water helps work the kinks out. And God knows I have more than my fair share of kinks. Damned tree ... :grumble:

I'll cut back on something else before I do without my hot water to bathe/shower. Don't use much anyhow. I handwash most dishes. And clothes are always washed in cold water.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an electric domestic water heater. Come to that, the whole house is electric.

I put a timer on the water heater. It comes on a few hours in the morning and heats up the water for the day. It shuts off about 1300 hours, then we just use the tank of hot water. The only use in the evening is 2 showers and maybe the dishwasher. A 50 gallon tank supplies plenty.

Been doing this for about 4 years; no real problems so far.

Even so, our monthly bill is up about 40% this year over last. I don't see it ever going down again. It's too late for that.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a little bit though as they cost/Dth went up again this month.
It was $7.589 in march and April it jumped to $8.055 and now jumped for may bill to $9.823.

I did use much less and only thing running for the last 2 months was my Water heater.
Last month I used 1.6 (Mcf) and this recent bill I used 1.1 (Mcf)

What I have done is turn the thermostat all the way off on the water heater after we take our morning showers.
It will hold the hot (warm) water until the next day with only the pilot.
I have the tank wrapped with 2 layers of aluminum bubble wrap type insulation and it is in the house.

But this bill was still $35.31 and last monthy was 40.41. Month before was 26.45 and i used 1.5 (Mcf)

They are forcing me to go electric and shut off my gas if this rate continues to increase. I do not even turn on the gas central furnace.
I hate to see some of the bills from people with a big family and gas heat they use.
I don't know if they passed/approved this but you might be on the hook for $1,400.00 if you yank ONG out of your home.

Okla. Proposes Letting Gas Utility Charge $1,400 'Exit Fee' To Go ...

Nov 8, 2021"Oklahoma's biggest natural gas utility could soon charge customers who switch to electric stoves and heating systems an "exit fee" of nearly $1,400 to disconnect service, HuffPost has learned, setting a precedent that could help the industry lock millions of Americans into fossil fuel use for decades.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend had a gas leak and the insurance deal on their end if he had a gas leak from meter to his house.
Well there was a leak and he found out when his bill was over 400 bucks when it was normally 30 something.

They left him on the hook for the 400+.
He told them take your meter because I am not paying it and he went all electric.
He never did pay it.

That 1400 exit fee sounds like some Comifornia BS where if you move out of the state you still pay state taxes for another 10 years.
I do not know if that passed but it is another overreach that is unacceptable.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if they passed/approved this but you might be on the hook for $1,400.00 if you yank ONG out of your home.

Okla. Proposes Letting Gas Utility Charge $1,400 'Exit Fee' To Go ...

Nov 8, 2021"Oklahoma's biggest natural gas utility could soon charge customers who switch to electric stoves and heating systems an "exit fee" of nearly $1,400 to disconnect service, HuffPost has learned, setting a precedent that could help the industry lock millions of Americans into fossil fuel use for decades.
I'm pretty sure the Corporation Commission nixed that provision.

Latest posts

Top Bottom