Sawed off shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a cheap $50 bucks .410 shotgun rifle from a buddy.

What modifications can I do to the gun legally? I'd like to saw it off, cut the stock and make a "mare's leg" look alike type thing out of it.

Can someone point me to the appropriate laws? Is there a stamp I need to buy? Etc...

Thanks guys!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You will never get your money back out of it if you decide to sell it.
Buy a T/C contender with a 45long colt/410 barrel and you will have about the same thing with no paperwork, no hassles.
and you can sell it anytime.
Unless you just want the coolness of having a sbs.
personally I would opt for a 12ga pump sbs.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will never get your money back out of it if you decide to sell it.
Buy a T/C contender with a 45long colt/410 barrel and you will have about the same thing with no paperwork, no hassles.
and you can sell it anytime.
Unless you just want the coolness of having a sbs.
personally I would opt for a 12ga pump sbs.

+1 :twocents:

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the stock is cut wouldnt be a AOW and only a $5 tax stamp?

If it had a stock, then it was a shotgun and can never be made into an AOW. An AOW has to be made off of a virgin receiver or a shotgun that left the factory with a pistol grip only. Also, AOW's only transfer for $5. They still cost $200 to make on a Form 1, so you might as well make it an SBS.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it had a stock, then it was a shotgun and can never be made into an AOW. An AOW has to be made off of a virgin receiver or a shotgun that left the factory with a pistol grip only. Also, AOW's only transfer for $5. They still cost $200 to make on a Form 1, so you might as well make it an SBS.

True, I argued with my buddy last weekend about an AOW he had built. Yes, it was off a virgin receiver, but he said he did a transfer not a form1. I told him he need to correct the situation because I was unaware than remington ever made an AOW and if BATFE was to drill deeper into it, they could come back and nail him for it.
CAR-AR-M16, also, correct me if I am wrong, but when doing the Form 1 on an AOW build, you still need to go through the engraving schtick too, correct?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I meant was a pump or saiga or something like that you can usually get your money back out of it including the tax money because they will appreciate in value. (holding it a couple years)
Whereas a single shot 410 will never be worth much more than what he paid due to lack of popularity and perceived value and coolness factor.