Say it isn't so!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As most of you long time members (and a few of you newbs) may know, I'm a revolver guy from the word go. The very first handgun I ever fired was my father's old pre model 10 Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special (which I now own - thanks dad! RIP!) and when I donned a badge as a strapping young LEO way back in 1989, I carried a Smith & Wesson model 13 with a 3 inch snout that belonged to my uncle. Like a moron, when asked by him if I wanted to buy it, I reluctantly declined. :slap:

I was wanting something more weather resistant, so I wound up buying a used S&W stainless steel (all weather) model 681 at a pawn shop in Shawnee. I immediately bought the proper holster and HKS speedloaders for it, took it to CLEET and qualified on the 50/50 course. The 50/50 course, is a 50 round course of fire, with all hits inside the 8 ring of a B-27 target worth 2 points, at a starting distance from 50 yards, moving inward to the 5 yard line. The revolver ran flawlessly. I left the range at the end of the week with a personal top score of 92%. I'm not gonna tell you what my worst score was. :cry3:

Anyways...like most cops back then, the revolver was king. Even when the semi-auto did start showing up on cop's hips, most of us (myself included) scoffed at the thought of those "jam-omatics" and my personal favorite, "Dick Tracy" guns. We had all cut our teeth on the good ol' sixgun, because we knew that when we drew it out of our dusty old holster, the damned thing was gonna work. Period. I remember hearing little quips like, "I'd rather have 6 for sure instead of 15 maybes" and "with an auto, you just wanna spray and pray. You can't miss fast enough in a gunfight."

Well, I recently watched a video that was shocking to say the least. I'm a big fan of Youtube. If you ever need to know how to do something, go to Youtube. If you get a particular song stuck in your head that you wanna hear, go to Youtube. If you wanna see what others think about a certain product, go to Youtube. Anything and everything is on Youtube. From how to brew a perfect cup of coffee to how to change out the battery in your wife's car. Yeah, I had to do that recently. The damned thing was in the floorboard of the back seat! :scratch:

With all that being said, I have some favorites on Youtube; Hickok45, Mrgunsandgear, Sootch and the guy who's topic of this thread, MAC or Military Arms Channel. He does a series of videos called the Gauntlet. He takes particular firearms and runs them thru a series of unpleasantries, that one may encounter with the weapon. Doubtful, but absolutely possible. He runs them through a battery of water, sand, dirt and mud. First one element individually, followed by a quick rinse before being subjected to the next substance. Then, after the weapon goes thru all elements individually, he runs it thru all four elements without a rinse. Surprising results were found with our blessed, uber reliable old wheelguns. Enough of me talking about it, roll that beautiful gun footage!

Last edited:

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...I'm a big fan of Youtube. If you ever need to know how to do something, go to Youtube. If you get a particular song stuck in your head that you wanna hear, go to Youtube. If you wanna see what others think about a certain product, go to Youtube. Anything and everything is on Youtube. From how to brew a perfect cup of coffee to how to change out the battery in your wife's car. Yeah, I had to do that recently. The damned thing was in the floorboard of the back seat! :scratch:

^^QFT.
I'm not real mechanically inclined so YouTube has saved my bacon a couple of times, watching a guy who's done (whatever) for 25 years slowly go through the process and mansplain it to me. And I can rewind the video if I didn't catch something. :thumbup3:

And your performance on the qualification course reminds me.
I had never fired a handgun at 25 yards until Uncle Sugar decided I would. The early results were...well nobody has the need to know that information.
But my wealthy Uncle had a bunch of ammo, and a few people who could actually shoot helped us "shotgun shooters" (with patterns that looked like 000 buckshot) a whole bunch -- God Bless 'Em! -- instead of just blah-blah-blah about what great marksmen they were.
Did I say already "God Bless 'Em!" to the people that actually helped us dummies to catch up, rather than just yelling and b------g?

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I love revolvers and wish I still had the 3 inch 66 I sold to a guy on here. That being said, I’ve had a lot of failures with them from high primers to pocket lint. I’ve still got and occasionally pocket carry my S&W 340 M&P. I’ve shot it from a jacket pocket just for fun at the end of a carry gun match. I’ve posted the video before but if you guys are bored....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love revolvers and wish I still had the 3 inch 66 I sold to a guy on here. That being said, I’ve had a lot of failures with them from high primers to pocket lint. I’ve still got and occasionally pocket carry my S&W 340 M&P. I’ve shot it from a jacket pocket just for fun at the end of a carry gun match. I’ve posted the video before but if you guys are bored....

I remember that!
Some of us wondered if you would even be able to hit the paper at all!
You did better than we thought! :clap3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom