SB35 - Military Carry in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not. Is it different than the formerly required PPE?
yes, it was pretty good for more or less to just wear an outer reflective garment, the PT belt would work. Now, they have to buy a completely separate reflective vest. Ft Sill's whole motorcycle safety program, is the most pointless thing ever dreamed up.
When it comes to guns they cannot seem to get the rifle ranged reopened and the skeet and trap range is gone for ever.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see they struck a lot of wording related to exemptions from training and the exemption certificate. I wonder if honorably discharged folks who are exempt from the range portion are just now supposed to send in their proof of handgun training with their application instead of the old method of getting the exemption cert from the class instructor?

It's also odd that honorably discharged personnel have to show proof of handgun training to get the range exemption but active duty troops don't need a permit at all and don't have to show proof of handgun training....did they not realize that not every active duty troop actually gets handgun training?
what handgun training.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When it comes to guns they cannot seem to get the rifle ranged reopened and the skeet and trap range is gone for ever.
My "friend" directed me to USAJOBS, there are openings for the Trap/Skeet range and the POW range operators listed as of last evening. They are listed under Garrison, so.....

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see they struck a lot of wording related to exemptions from training and the exemption certificate. I wonder if honorably discharged folks who are exempt from the range portion are just now supposed to send in their proof of handgun training with their application instead of the old method of getting the exemption cert from the class instructor?

It's also odd that honorably discharged personnel have to show proof of handgun training to get the range exemption but active duty troops don't need a permit at all and don't have to show proof of handgun training....did they not realize that not every active duty troop actually gets handgun training?

In reference to the above: Many years ago, in an effort to save $30, I showed my DD-214 (Honorable Discharge/Retirement Paperwork) to an SDA instructor who would not exempt me from the range portion of the class because he didn't see anywhere on the paper which exact handgun I had trained with, in my 21+ years of active service as a U.S. Marine Infantry Officer. The DD-214 showed my last assignment prior to retiring was with a Force Recon Unit. It also stated that I had been awarded an Expert Handgun Qualification Badge. He said that my DD-214 and time in the USMC "did not meet his personal standards". He said I had to prove to him that I could meet the requirements of the SDA. (I think he also wanted the whole $60 bucks). I didn't like his attitude and went elsewhere.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right. My wife and I had to show our actual handgun qualification paperwork to get the exemption. I can almost understand the instructor needing to see what type of handgun, for the purposes of listing it on the license....remember the whole sliding scale: trained on an auto, can carry all. Trained on revolver, can carry revolver and derringer etc....

He probably thought an old salt like you trained on a muzzle loader and wasn't sure how to classify it LOL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom