SBC cam bearing remover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at the cam shop and David told me a couple years ago that a ( BBC )Big Block Chevy cam will drive the Small Block Chevy cam bearings right out.
Yep it did that and super easy.

Yesterday I had a wild idea of making a cam bearing installer using the BBC camshaft.
All lobes were ground off of the BBC cam and on one end on the front journal I machined 3/4" of the journal down to the SBC cam journal size so a SBC cam
bearing will slip over it.
Just like on a regular cam bearing driver.

Some of the BBC journal size is still there to give a lip to drive the bearing in place.
Worked like a charm.
I actually ground the journal down less than the SBC size to be able to wrap 1 round of electric tape around the journal to hold the cam bearing in place on the new
tool.

I wish I had a working camera!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
"I wish I had a working camera!"

Me too!

I've been watching a series on Motortrend called Engine Masters. The science of engine building fascinates me.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could have asked if any one has a cam bearing tool. I mean, I'm just across town.

Yea I hate to borrow a tool because If I break it I will of course buy a new one and then need to buy my own for fear of breaking
the borrowed one again.
I am money ahead buying my own tool or making one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom