Sbr ar stripped lower(??)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to know... does it work the same way for AOWs?? I'm seriously wanting an AOW shotty...

Anything that an 07/02 FFL/SOT manufacturer makes is registered tax free on a Form 2 (they pay a yearly tax to make NFA weapons). However, if you want them to make you an AOW "shotty", it will have to be made off of a virgin receiver or a shotgun that left the factory with only a pistol grip (technically that is just a "firearm", not a shotgun). They cannot make an AOW out of you existing shotgun, because it would then be a SBS, not an AOW.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A stripped lower is just a lower and doesn't fall under NFA.

Exactly. the Form 4 to transfer the SBR has to have a barrel length and overall length listed. A stripped receiver does not have either one of these measurements, so it cannot be an SBR. You would have to lie (i.e. perjure yourself on a federal document) by listing a nonexistent barrel/overall length in order to transfer an "SBR Receiver".

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, you could always build first, then register (since it's going to take forever to get the paperwork back) and SBR it after. Build it as a full-length or a pistol first.

This is what I did. Built a stripped lower as pistol to put my short upper on. Then I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited some more. Finally got my stamp so I could put the shorty upper on my now legal SBR lower. Then I traded my AR pistol to a friend for a SWEET S&W 25-2.:woohoo1:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything that an 07/02 FFL/SOT manufacturer makes is registered tax free on a Form 2 (they pay a yearly tax to make NFA weapons). However, if you want them to make you an AOW "shotty", it will have to be made off of a virgin receiver or a shotgun that left the factory with only a pistol grip (technically that is just a "firearm", not a shotgun). They cannot make an AOW out of you existing shotgun, because it would then be a SBS, not an AOW.

No, yeah, I knew that... was just curious how that worked on their end. Still want one, though, just for the hell of it.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If YOU were to make an AOW on a form-1, you would have to pay the $200.00 "making" fee. As said earlier, it would have to be made from a virgin receiver. If you found a licensed 07/02 to make it for you, then all you would have to pay is the $5.00 transfer fee.

Or, if you wanted the option to switch and swap from a stock to pistol grip and back again with a short barrel, you could always make and register it as a short barreled shotgun which would still be $200.00 for "making" it and if it were ever transferred, it would cost $200.00.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you were to make an aow on a form-1, you would have to pay the $200.00 "making" fee. As said earlier, it would have to be made from a virgin receiver. If you found a licensed 07/02 to make it for you, then all you would have to pay is the $5.00 transfer fee plus whatever they charge you to chop the barrel, engrave their info, refinish, do the form 2 to register the AOW and do the form 4 to transfer it to you.

Or, if you wanted the option to switch and swap from a stock to pistol grip and back again with a short barrel, you could always make and register it as a short barreled shotgun which would still be $200.00 for "making" it and if it were ever transferred, it would cost $200.00.

fify.

Latest posts

Top Bottom