SBR AR15 upper questions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking about ordering a complete 10.5" upper to do an SBR build. What is the procedure for doing this? The complete uppers can be shipped straight to my home right? Do I need to send off paperwork before I order one? Does the lower have to be engraved before I order one? Can I own the upper before these things are done? I do have lowers in my possession that aren't engraved at this time.

Thanks

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one complete lower just by itself and one stripped lower. The stripped lower has never been put together but the complete lower did have an upper on it at one time. It was bought second hand so not sure how it was filled out on 4473.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
as long as the lowers are virgin(not on 4473 as rifle) or pistol lowers your fine , or if they are complete rifles theyre ok too.

I think you're thinking about shotguns and AOW's. The AOW receiver must be virgin. Rifles don't.

Yes the uppers can be sent to your house. You must first have an approved Form-1 before you can posess both short barreled upper and receiver at the same time.

The requirements for engraving changed not long ago. The markings that were required when I made mine no longer apply. Call BATFE and ask about the current marking requirements before you engrave anything.

Whatever you end up engraving will have to be entered on your Form-1.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
or if they are complete rifles theyre ok too.

This is not the way I've come to understand things. The way I understand it is, unless you own a virgin receiver or a pistol lower, you could get in trouble for posessing the upper along with riffles &/or riffle lowers. I could be wrong, but if it were me I'd definately not take the chance. Get a cheap virgin lower receiver (for a pistol build) just to CYA. Then when your SBR stamp comes back, you can slap that puppy on & all's good.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are still thinking AOW's. No virgins needed.

You can take a complete rifle, submit a form-1 and when it comes back approved change the complete upper or have the barrel cut down. It is a no no to have the short barrel/upper and the receiver together without an approved form-1.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a no no to have the short barrel/upper and the receiver together without an approved form-1.

Hence the virgin receiver. He can build a pistol until his forms come back. Then move the upper to his SBR & sell the pistol lower. The whole purpose being that he wants to get the upper now istead of waiting until his SBR forms come back.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i wasnt thinkn AOW, i never even considered one. im just relating to me having a complete rifle , and a virgin lower wheni got my 7.5 upper, then i installed the pistol buffer and lpk and had a legal pistol

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as long as the lowers are virgin(not on 4473 as rifle) or pistol lowers your fine , or if they are complete rifles theyre ok too.

The bold part isn't correct. If you have one or more complete normal ARs and one short upper you are breaking the law technically (constructive intent). Basically it boils down to if you have a legal use for the items. If you have neither a legal way nor an illegal way to use it (like just a short upper and no other AR parts) you are good. If you have a legal way to use the item then you are good. If you only have an illegal way to use the item (short upper and non SBR AR rifles) you are probably breaking the "law".

Of course you can not tell any one and no one will ever know, but why risk 10 years in prison. Just wait until the form 1 or 4 come back and then buy your upper.

You guys are still thinking AOW's. No virgins needed.

You can take a complete rifle, submit a form-1 and when it comes back approved change the complete upper or have the barrel cut down. It is a no no to have the short barrel/upper and the receiver together without an approved form-1.

You are not right on this. If the receiver was marked pistol or other on the 4473 and has never had a stock installed you can have a short upper and that lower. It's basically like building the receiver into a pistol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom