1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

SBR idea...7.5" barrel, AAC Mini4 (or similar), with supersonic...bad idea?

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by Sam Shoun, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sam Shoun

Sam Shoun Sharpshooter

IDK much about suppressors. My goal is to build an extremely compact SBR for close-quarters indoor fighting (ie home defense) without ear pro. I don't expect it to be hearing safe, hopefully just "hearing survivable" (I would practice with ear pro).

5.56 vs 300 blk is also a question I'm considering. And I think I need to stick to supersonic for effectiveness, but if I'm mistaken please correct me.

How would a 7.5" 5.56 barrel with a very short can like the Mini4 (or similar) perform with supersonics? Would it destroy the can? Would 300 blk be better?

Other ideas?

Thanks, y'all.

2. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    That short a barrel will eat up the blast baffle of your suppressor very quickly. You might look at a longer barrel with a reflex type suppressor that fits back over the barrel some to keep it short.

3. Sam Shoun

Sam Shoun Sharpshooter

I believe the mini4 does fit back over the barrel some. Is it different from what you're talking about?

Could any particular attachment device (blackout, brakeout, etc) mitigate the damage?

4. 338Shooter

338Shooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    No it doesn't. It will last about 2000 rounds on 7.5.

It would be a loud waste of money IMHO. The mini cans are glorified flash hiders.

5. Sam Shoun

Sam Shoun Sharpshooter

Got it. So what's your recommendation, given my objective? How short can you get in terms of total length and still have a reasonable device?

6. 338Shooter

338Shooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I run a suppressed 12.5" gun quite comfortably. Not sure what you're considering reasonable. No one will warrant the suppressor under 10" of barrel. The mini 4 isn't a bad suppressor, but really isn't designed with sound suppression as the number one objective. The M4-2000 is a great suppressor and very similar to the mini 4, just bigger so it is quieter. I love the M4-2k and also the mini 4, but for what most users look for in a suppressor the mini 4 leaves something to be desired. Especially when most consider even the best .223 cans to be loud.

7. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    This! Most folks are used to the pffffttttt! sound they hear in the movies and are shocked when they hear a real suppressed .223.

If you want a small, quiet gun for home defense just get a suppressed Glock with a 33rd magazine and a good weaponlight.

8. bettingpython

bettingpython Sharpshooter

300 AAC blackout 9" barrel and 7.62SD... Oh Dustin...

9. 338Shooter

338Shooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
  10. Norman

Norman Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I believe Ops will warranty a 7.5" barrel for their cans. The downside is it's heavier and steel. However Ron can rebuild most baffles.