SBR or SBS??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question related to another thread that I was reading tonight. If you bought a 410 AR upper, cut the barrel down to 12", would you have to buy a stamp for a SBS, since it is a shotgun, or could you simply put it on your AR lower that is registered as a SBR?

I would think that you could put it on your existing lower, since the lower is the part that is registered. Theoretically, you could use 9mm shotshell in a 9mm upper. That and you are registering the gun, not the ammo shot out of it.

However, the case could be made that a shotgun is defined by the type of ammo it was designed for, like a 12 gauge shotgun with a 12" slug barrel. Would that be a SBS or a SBR?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe It would need to be registered as an SBS because it is a smooth bore. The rifling (or lack there of) is what determines what it is *I think*.

I wonder if you could register it as an SBR and an SBS and swap the .410 upper out with say a short 9mm upper?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe It would need to be registered as an SBS because it is a smooth bore. The rifling (or lack there of) is what determines what it is *I think*.

I wonder if you could register it as an SBR and an SBS and swap the .410 upper out with say a short 9mm upper?

I would think your right but as cheap as AR lowers are I would never consider putting all My NFA eggs in one AR basket

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think that you could put it on your existing lower, since the lower is the part that is registered. Theoretically, you could use 9mm shotshell in a 9mm upper. That and you are registering the gun, not the ammo shot out of it.
Logically, this is way I'd think it would be. But how often does logic come into play with the ATF?

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now THIS is an interesting NFA question. I would be interested in the response if someone queries BATFE about it. Not that I am interested in doing it, but I am interested in knowing the legalities.

Eric67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From ATF web site

THE GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968
TITLE 18, UNITED STATE CODE, CHAPTER 44
Chapter 44 – Firearms
§ 921 Definitions.

(5) The term "shotgun" means a
weapon designed or redesigned, made
or remade, and intended to be fired
from the shoulder and designed or redesigned
and made or remade to use
the energy of an explosive to fire
through a smooth bore either a number
of ball shot or a single projectile for
each single pull of the trigger.

(6) The term "short-barreled shotgun"
means a shotgun having one or
more barrels less than eighteen inches
in length and any weapon made from a
shotgun (whether by alteration, modification,
or otherwise) if such weapon as
modified has an overall length of less
than twenty-six inches.

Note where a shotgun is defined as having a smooth bore, unlike a rifle, obviously. So a SBS is a short version of this definition.

Does this conclude that since a rifle and shotgun differ by definition of "rifleing", (like Dustin said in his post also) that it would have to have a stamp for SBS even if already registered as SBR (again see Dustin's post).

I guess question is also if they would register one receiver as both SBR and SBS?

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does that also mean if I put a rifled slug barrel on my shotgun it isn't a shotgun any more???:confused:

No, read your post above your last one, it says single projectile also.

That is my question, can you register a reciever, which is technically considered the actual serialized part of the gun, as both a SBR, and a SBS?

Of course, along the same line of reasoning, if you make a 10/22, or a GSG a SBR, would you be in trouble if you shot 22LR shotshells out of it? Same principle?!?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, read your post above your last one, it says single projectile also.

That is my question, can you register a reciever, which is technically considered the actual serialized part of the gun, as both a SBR, and a SBS?

Of course, along the same line of reasoning, if you make a 10/22, or a GSG a SBR, would you be in trouble if you shot 22LR shotshells out of it? Same principle?!?

It isn't the ammo, it is the rifling or lack thereof. This is the reason that the Judge isn't an AOW (smooth bore pistol). It has a rifled barrel no matter what kind of ammo you feel like shooting through it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom