1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

SBR question

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by DeadEyeDick, Mar 12, 2011.

1. DeadEyeDick

DeadEyeDick Sharpshooter

this maybe a novice question and thats because i dont a lot when it comes to class 3 items. why does a lower receiver have to be stamped for a SBR? i would think the upper would need to be stamped seeing how its what has the shorter barrel on it. again, i apologize if its a stupid question, but this is the best place to ask.

oh, and come someone tell where where to go to download/print the paperwork for an SBR?

2. BigDiezel

BigDiezel Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
  3. Profreedomokie

Profreedomokie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It depends on the weapon. My Sig 556 SBR is stamped on the upper. Just got my tax stamp today.

4. DeadEyeDick

DeadEyeDick Sharpshooter

I'm talking about it being on AR platforms

5. repete34

repete34 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The rec. in the ser. numbered item

6. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    According to BATFE, you can engrave either the barrel or the receiver. I had my receiver engraved because I have several AR's and I didn't want to take a chance on using the short barrel on the wrong receiver.

7. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If you need any help with the paperwork or have any other questions, I will be happy to walk you through it. I can e-mail you a blank Form 1 and Citizenship Form. You will have to order the FBI Fingerprint cards from the ATF Form Distribution Center. Just let me know.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  8. 338Shooter

338Shooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You can engrave the upper, the barrel, or the lower. If you pick the upper or barrel then you can't swap to a different complete upper unless it is also engraved. I prefer to engrave the lower to make things easier.

9. mr ed

mr ed Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    On an Ar platform the lower receiver is the only restricted and serial numbered part.
    If you used that serial number when you form 1'ed the gun, then that receiver is a sbr forever.
    No matter what length barrel you have on it it is still in the ATF registry as a sbr and you must transfer it as such forever or until such time as you request its removal (waste of time) or you destroy it in accordance to ATF instructions.
    Some people have tried and succeeded in registering the upper only. this is dangerous in 2 ways.
    #1. The lower is the only reconized part that is "the gun" and having the upper on a receiver that is not on your paperwork could be bad news.
    #2. It could set a precedent to cause all uppers to become restricted parts sometime in the future.

10. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Please read the SBR FAQ at the ATF website. Specifically:

Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?
    Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

Q: Is it necessary to send notification to ATF and receive acknowledgement that the SBR or SBS has been removed from the purview of the NFA before it may be sold as a GCA firearm?
    There is no requirement for the possessor of a registered NFA firearm to notify ATF that the firearm has been removed from the purview of the NFA. However, ATF recommends the possessor notify the NFA Branch of such changes in writing so that the possessor is not mistakenly identified as the owner if the firearm is later used in a crime. If, at the time of transfer, the firearm does not meet the definition of a SBR, it should be transferred without filing the NFA transfer application and without payment of the transfer tax.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html