SBR vs Pistol w/forearm brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I want to apologize to anyone that I may have offended or upset over this post. I took some of the discussion as personal and I shouldn’t have. Thanks to GlockPride for reaching out on DM, we hashed out any things we had issues with, mostly just me having an issue. It won’t happen again.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my take on it FWIW.

AR based SBR: When configured optimally (7-9" .300BLK running supers or 10.5"+ 5.56) it's the ultimate PDW/HD setup, especially when paired with a short, light can.
Advantages: Meets even the strictest interpretations and doesn't invite additional scrutiny. Best ergonomics and versatility
Drawbacks: Not legal for routine carry outside the home in most places. Cost & wait for the tax stamp, + engraving the lower. Resale is time consuming and best to just part it out.

AR based pistol: The next best thing to an SBR for the above mentioned uses.
Advantages: Meets the legal requirements for carry outside the home in more locations, costs less, can be immediately resold if necessary. Legal in more states than an SBR.
Drawbacks: Not quite as ergonomic, draws more public scrutiny, may be banned overnight via executive fiat overreach.

Based on current legalities, I'd opt for an 8" .300BLK pistol running supers for HD and vehicle carry. I would not carry one on the body unless I was unexpectedly separated from my vehicle, due to unforeseen and hostile circumstances. In it's HD and mounted carry roles, it has the advantages of superior ballistic performance, range and accuracy when compared to a handgun. for quick trips across state lines, it's just easier and covers more ground legally than an SBR.

In the event of mass civil unrest, it has a better "visual deterrent effect" than a handgun while trying to move to a more secure location, and is definitely superior in a suppression role should it come to that. While the likelihood of needing one for that role is still relatively small, it's better to have and not need than vice versa.

Ultimately I'd prefer to have a SBR for HD and an AR pistol for everything else. It's nice to have options! :)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Getting ready to form 1 a Bren, sucks that you have to pay $200 each time for something that is mostly cosmetic relative to the "Pistols" out there. On the other hand, I'm extremely glad there are so many "pistol" options now. Kind of shows that the NFA is complete B.S. It's not like you see blood in the streets because of short rifles.....eerrrr.... "Pistols."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my take on it FWIW.

AR based SBR: When configured optimally (7-9" .300BLK running supers or 10.5"+ 5.56) it's the ultimate PDW/HD setup, especially when paired with a short, light can.
Advantages: Meets even the strictest interpretations and doesn't invite additional scrutiny. Best ergonomics and versatility
Drawbacks: Not legal for routine carry outside the home in most places. Cost & wait for the tax stamp, + engraving the lower. Resale is time consuming and best to just part it out.

AR based pistol: The next best thing to an SBR for the above mentioned uses.
Advantages: Meets the legal requirements for carry outside the home in more locations, costs less, can be immediately resold if necessary. Legal in more states than an SBR.
Drawbacks: Not quite as ergonomic, draws more public scrutiny, may be banned overnight via executive fiat overreach.

Based on current legalities, I'd opt for an 8" .300BLK pistol running supers for HD and vehicle carry. I would not carry one on the body unless I was unexpectedly separated from my vehicle, due to unforeseen and hostile circumstances. In it's HD and mounted carry roles, it has the advantages of superior ballistic performance, range and accuracy when compared to a handgun. for quick trips across state lines, it's just easier and covers more ground legally than an SBR.

In the event of mass civil unrest, it has a better "visual deterrent effect" than a handgun while trying to move to a more secure location, and is definitely superior in a suppression role should it come to that. While the likelihood of needing one for that role is still relatively small, it's better to have and not need than vice versa.

Ultimately I'd prefer to have a SBR for HD and an AR pistol for everything else. It's nice to have options! :)

Getting ready to form 1 a Bren, sucks that you have to pay $200 each time for something that is mostly cosmetic relative to the "Pistols" out there. On the other hand, I'm extremely glad there are so many "pistol" options now. Kind of shows that the NFA is complete B.S. It's not like you see blood in the streets because of short rifles.....eerrrr.... "Pistols."

I guess I have to plead ignorance in not keeping up with current regulations. In my understanding when the AR pistol came out, it was a felony to shoulder it because it was a SBR needing a class III ticket.
I still think it's a work around, but if it's legal, go for it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

From your link.
Bottom line: if an unmolested SB Tactical stabilizing brace is attached to the buffer tube of an AR-15 pistol, the resulting firearm can be legally shouldered and fired without “making” it a short-barreled rifle under the National Firearm Act. However as soon as you do anything to change the brace (even just removing the strap) you have now “made” an SBR.

I get it now.....as long as the velcro straps are on the stock, it's a stabilizer even if they aren't necessary or used.
An ornament that is a work around like the regulation of a bump stock.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From your link.
Bottom line: if an unmolested SB Tactical stabilizing brace is attached to the buffer tube of an AR-15 pistol, the resulting firearm can be legally shouldered and fired without “making” it a short-barreled rifle under the National Firearm Act. However as soon as you do anything to change the brace (even just removing the strap) you have now “made” an SBR.

I get it now.....as long as the velcro straps are on the stock, it's a stabilizer even if they aren't necessary or used.
An ornament that is a work around like the regulation of a bump stock.

Some braces have no straps though.

Forgive the last few minutes, but he's got a shockwave on there and it has no strap.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another advantage to an AR pistol, as I understand it, is that you can turn your pistol into a rifle, and back into a pistol, but you cannot turn a rifle into a pistol at any time at all. Am I correct?

Latest posts

Top Bottom