1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sbr...

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by ef9turbo, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Wall

Wall Sharpshooter

I sent the OP a pm on this last night & I too referred to it as constructive intent. I guess somewhere along the way that's how I heard it. So. I too am guilty of perpetuating an incorrect term. Semantics yes, but It'd definately be easier to find info on the subject when using the correct term.

I'm not a tinfoil'r but I think it could be dangerous for a person to post about the cool shorty upper they just got & then ask how to get a SBR. That's why I sent him the info in a PM, I didn't want to draw alot of attention to it. This actually happens pretty often.

2. ef9turbo

ef9turbo Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If I ordered a SBR, I wouldn't be asking these questions because I'd already know them AND I wouldn't do something that foolish :P

I will probably go the SBR route here sometime this year though. After seeing a suppressed SBR today, I just can't see myself without one. Such a perfect weapon... Ahh............

3. ef9turbo

ef9turbo Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    So let me get this straight.

I can send my lower to someone like MAS or M3 and have them engrave their trust name on it. Pay 200 bucks and wait like 3-4 months for the stamp. Make an order for the SBR upper I want and have it shipped to my house. Once everything clears I can pick up my lower and slap it together and go play. Is that basically how it is??????

4. RobC

RobC Sharpshooter

You don't have to do it through a dealer. You can do the paperwork yourself, get it engraved at a number of places locally, then order the upper once the stamp comes back. This is the most common method. You could buy a receiver that has been registered by a dealer, but that is not a requirement.

Rob

5. jeffsoward

jeffsoward Sharpshooter

This.
    Basically, you could setup a trust or do it as an individual.
    Complete the form1's on the lower and submit all of the required documents with the form1's and send in the $200 with it.
    Trust route, you only need the trust paperwork to go with the form1's.
    Individual route, you need two passport photos, proof of citizenship document, FBI fingerprint card along with the form1's.
    The engraving would be either your name (individual) or your trust name and city/state
    If you buy through a dealer, the dealer will have to form 1 and have the lower engraved with the dealer's name and location city/state. then a form 4 is required (with the same supporting documents mentioned above) and $200.

Either way is fine, but if you already have possession of the lower, NFA told me directly that there is no need to go back to a dealer, it just adds to the ATF's paperwork pile.

6. WhiteyMacD

WhiteyMacD Sharpshooter

Food for thought, if you ever plan on selling it, it might be easier to sell one that has MAS or M3 engraved on it rather than First Name Last Name Trust.

But its really 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. Mine is engraved MAS, but I can guarantee, with my history of firearms, I will never sell it. I just need to quit buying HK kits and pony up the money for my shorty upper.

7. jeffsoward

jeffsoward Sharpshooter

that's why I form1'ed my GSG5. it's actually a guarantee that I'll keep it around. BATFE makes it so hard that selling an SBR is such a PITA that most will keep theirs anyway.

8. ef9turbo

ef9turbo Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I don't think I'll sell mine either way.

So I can legally own a completed lower prior to completing paperwork correct? I have one now that if testing on it goes well, I will want to use it for the SBR since it's already engraved "Multi-Use" for caliber.

So to get this correct...

Fill out paperwork(will most likely do individual) and all required others, 200 dollars, engrave lower and wait for the stamp. Once stamp comes in I can order my SBR upper and have it sent to my house. Correct? Or order the upper now and have each half somewhere else correct?

9. WhiteyMacD

WhiteyMacD Sharpshooter

If you already have an AR, or a completed lower, I would hold off on purchasing the upper until the stamp comes back. Other than that, sounds fine.

10. ef9turbo

ef9turbo Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Okay, that's what I thought. I was going to purchase an upper sometime next week, but I am getting a pretty smokin deal on a Noveske 10.5 lower! Kinda hard to not pick it up. With the upper, my lower and the stamp, I should be a tad bit over 1200 completed.... I think I will have to wait and just save up! It will be soooo worth the wait! Thanks for all the information!