Scalping Corvettes: Chevrolet Will Void Owner's Warranty If They Flip Corvette Z06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve seen the crazy that is “used” Corvette market pricing. I guess I could make a nice profit selling mine but I actually want it. Some dealers are doing the markup of $10-30K before first sale. I understand flippers making a profit on a highly desirable vehicle. But the dealers add nothing to the mix by going over MSRP. Eventually things will settle down but at least I’m not in the market for another Corvette.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in the business.

A manufacturer CANNOT void warranty, period. Warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship on the part of the manufacturer.

The manufacturer can only deny warranty if a failure is due to something other than a defect in materials and workmanship on the part of the manufacturer.

I’ve heard this for years, it’s untrue. I’ve modified Vettes, pickups, Porches, etc.

They cannot void the warranty unless they can prove a modification caused the failure in question.

That being said, they can try what they want and you have the option to sue.

They will lose if a denial is related to a defect in materials and workmanship on the part of the manufacturer.

Buy a Vette, sell it, make a profit and dare them to deny the warranty. You’ll make twice the profit and have some fun in the process!

Don’t you remember the “Good Buddy/Bailout” relationship that Chevrolet/GM has with the Dems/Obama? I wouldn’t say anything was impossible.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oba...ZgBAKABAcgBBMABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen the crazy that is “used” Corvette market pricing. I guess I could make a nice profit selling mine but I actually want it. Some dealers are doing the markup of $10-30K before first sale. I understand flippers making a profit on a highly desirable vehicle. But the dealers add nothing to the mix by going over MSRP. Eventually things will settle down but at least I’m not in the market for another Corvette.
My old boss always bought a new loaded out 4x4 Suburban from the same dealer about every year. Also all of his company trucks. He was one of those customers that they paid attention to and kept happy. They had to set him down and explain why they couldn't get a Corvette to sell him or even let him order. Corvette sales was like a good ole boy network. This was in the early 2000s and it was solely based on prior sales. He had to go to another dealer that had an allotment opening to place his order. Might be different now but I highly doubt it.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My old boss always bought a new loaded out 4x4 Suburban from the same dealer about every year. Also all of his company trucks. He was one of those customers that they paid attention to and kept happy. They had to set him down and explain why they couldn't get a Corvette to sell him or even let him order. Corvette sales was like a good ole boy network. This was in the early 2000s and it was solely based on prior sales. He had to go to another dealer that had an allotment opening to place his order. Might be different now but I highly doubt it.
They have a certain allotment based on orders. You are better off ordering from a dealer who sells more Corvettes as they will have not allocated to them. Not many small town dealers selling sports cars so big city dealers get them. Landers in Norman is too 25 in the nation last I checked so they’ll have more than Mike Hellack in Davis.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m in the business.
I would suggest that you watch Steve Lehto's video in post #2; he's in the business, too, as an attorney who specializes in consumer protection, particularly in the field of lemon law. Basically, they can do it, as long as they make it known up front.

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t you remember the “Good Buddy/Bailout” relationship that Chevrolet/GM has with the Dems/Obama? I wouldn’t say anything was impossible.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oba...ZgBAKABAcgBBMABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp
They can’t void warranty. That doesn’t mean they can’t pull some other shenanigans.

Mercedes had a deal for dealers to buy their cars at 12% under invoice but you had to agree up front to keep the car two years and you could only buy one every two years. That’s perfectly legal if you sign the agreement.

Moral to the story: READ THE AGREEMENT. ALL OF IT.

Last edited:

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Attachments

• 67 Spitfire.jpg
    67 Spitfire.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0

dabigboy

Marksman
Reaction score
You think this is bad, you should see what aircraft manufacturer Icon tried to pull with their purchase agreement. It's nuts. 30 year life limit on the airframe, a provision for Icon to buy it back at original purchase price (even if someone else is offering more), total ownership/control of the flight data recorder, INCLUDING a camera in the plane, which Icon has access to and which may not be removed or disabled, maintenance and training only allowed under Icon-authorized entities, etc. They got a lot of mud on their face in the community and rolled some of the worst stuff back (or maybe they just realized what a legal can of worms they might be opening), but it's still not anything I'd ever sign, no matter how nice the plane is.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/march/31/icon-gambit
Matt

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a buyer can afford to pay the excessive “flipped price”, I don’t see them being concerned about a warranty. They could probably pay full price for repairs and never tickle their bank account.

Latest posts

Top Bottom