Scanners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does any one listen to them anymore? I live less than a mile from the local PD and FD and used to listen to one to have an idea of what's going on around me.

Now it seems all the public safety channels are super secret stuff here in McClain county. Everything is encrypted, encoded, trunked, digitalized and super complex.

I downloaded a couple of scanner apps for my phone and I can get other areas of the state and country, but nothing around here.

Is there anything out there there that will receive the newer equipment? I looked around over on radio reference .com and the few things I found is like a foreign language to me.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
"Everything is encrypted, encoded, trunked, digitalized and super complex."

It's like that everywhere now. It was too easy for perps to stay ahead of the good guys when they knew where and when the PD and SO was. Especially on rural calls, by the the time an alarm or 911 call comes in, and a deputy is notified, about 2-3 minutes passes, and then when the deputy tells the dispatch his location, the perps know whether they've got 5 minutes or 15 minutes to keep loading up the loot. Same applies to high speed chases, cooking meth in the country etc. Now they just find a truck with a VFF sticker in the back window and steal the radio out of it with all the frequencies on it lol.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, since they are trunked and encrypted, they have to be programmed to be allowed on the system. Newer radios are all data/ip based, so essentially pc's. I work at the radio shop for OKC, so we do all the public safety stuff, including upfitting the cars. If it's not available on radio reference, you arent getting it without handing the radio or scanner to one of my guys, them assigning a LID (Logical ID) on our system, and programming it. Channels like TAC, AIR, IA, Intel etc are all encrypted. The guys who get those channels, are on the team, and requires a lot of paperwork and permissions from the higher ups that we verify before we program them. When you leave that assignment, you lose those channels. Dispatch, patrol etc DO NOT get to listen in on those channels. OpSec is pretty serious.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, since they are trunked and encrypted, they have to be programmed to be allowed on the system. Newer radios are all data/ip based, so essentially pc's. I work at the radio shop for OKC, so we do all the public safety stuff, including upfitting the cars. If it's not available on radio reference, you arent getting it without handing the radio or scanner to one of my guys, them assigning a LID (Logical ID) on our system, and programming it. Channels like TAC, AIR, IA, Intel etc are all encrypted. The guys who get those channels, are on the team, and requires a lot of paperwork and permissions from the higher ups that we verify before we program them. When you leave that assignment, you lose those channels. Dispatch, patrol etc DO NOT get to listen in on those channels. OpSec is pretty serious.

I may know you if you've been there awhile. I retired from the Okc FD in 2007.

For non tactical conversations I have been looking at https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BCD53...=UTF8&qid=1485826008&sr=8-1&keywords=bcd536hp, but for OKC and other smaller towns around here you would also need to buy the provoice options.

Ok, that's a start. I could care less about all the tacti-cool stuff. I just want to hear what's going on when the sirens are passing the house on the main road.

What is provoice?

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may know you if you've been there awhile. I retired from the Okc FD in 2007.

Ok, that's a start. I could care less about all the tacti-cool stuff. I just want to hear what's going on when the sirens are passing the house on the main road.

What is provoice?
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/EDACS_Provoic

Just hit 6 years there. A few of the guys you would have known are still there, but a fair amount have retired since you did. Probably know a lot of the same people. Something else to remember is that we also just finished the RFP for the new P25 system, and it is in the design phase. I cant remember the exact date, but it will be up and running in the next 2-3 years, which means whatever you get now, probably will quite to work then.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I understand most of the police departments around OKC use that option of EDAC. I live in Mustang and they are on that system.
Here are some of the OKC area frequencies http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2810.

Here is a link for Blanchard, http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2171. It looks like they may use DMR. The scanner I referenced will receive DMR, but require an additional upgrade, which is just a license that you have to pay for.

A license is needed just to listen!? When did that start? Who issues the license and what does it cost?

Latest posts

Top Bottom