Scariest Bridge you (or almost) ever drove on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read a post about someone spending time in Orange , TX -- I used to have to make the drive to Sabine Pass, Texas -- Had to drive over the Rainbow Bridge, near Bridge City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Bridge_(Texas)

I had an old Izuzu Pickup that was a challenge to keep running smoothly.

The old and new Sunshine Skyway Bridge near St. Petersburg, Florida wasn’t a fun one either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge

https://www.tampabay.com/news/2020/...y-bridge-plunged-into-tampa-bay-40-years-ago/

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, the sunshine skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay is a trip... a hefty climb to the peak, then a practical runaway drop on the otherside. Did it in a 16 passenger van. 10/10, would do again.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a county bridge near my house the school bus had to cross every day twice a day. After one particularly bad thunderstorm unknown to the bus driver it had washed away part of the south end supports. The inevitable happened and the bus with half a load of kids went down into the ravine about 20 feet. Some teeth were missing on the kids and a broken arm and ankle for the driver. I went around 3 sections to avoid that bridge.
The second scariest was the old Dover Loyal bridge. Kinda like the El Reno bridge south on 81 from El Reno except it was worse shape. There were actually places about 2 to 3 feet wide you could look through and see the Cimarron River below.
I drove combines and loaded wheat trucks over that thing every year. I just thought if it was going to get me it was going to get me. When I was driving the combine we stationed family members on each side to keep people off the one lane bridge because they would always bunch up behind me creating even more weight. Stupid people!

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scariest bridge I almost drove over? On Midway Road in BA about 35 years ago. I was with my older cousin and one of my grandparents’ teenage neighbors in the neighbor’s Scout. He wanted to go over that bridge, but I was having none of it; I was convinced that that piece of pre-Colombian art was going to collapse if a person walked on it, let alone a car went over it. That was pretty much the definition of “rickety old bridge.”

I’ve been across some tall bridges, but those weren’t scary at all. There’s a bridge in Yazoo City, MS that must be the only elevation change for miles around. I forget how tall it is; I was looking at a high-precision calibrated GPS altitude readout at the time, and I recall it getting up to 104’, but I don’t remember if it rose 104’ or if that was its elevation above sea level—but Yazoo City isn’t very far above sea level to begin with. The bridge on US82 from Greenville, MS to Arkansas across the Mississippi is pretty tall and long, too, but not scary.

The OK102 bridge across the Canadian could be a concern, as it’s an old railroad trestle converted to a single-lane (as in one, count ‘em, one lane, not one lane each direction), but even that one wasn’t scary.

GWinOK

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
4B4D0ED9-9F71-4B2B-BF4D-6ABAB13B9AF1.jpeg
The Chesapeake Bay bridge near Annapolis, Maryland. It’s tall enough for big Navy ships to go under. It’s narrow, two lanes on a side and it’s like 500 feet up above the water. It scares the hell out of me. You can feel it wobbling under the load of big trucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom