Scariest Bridge you (or almost) ever drove on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiophile

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
View attachment 173674 The Chesapeake Bay bridge near Annapolis, Maryland. It’s tall enough for big Navy ships to go under. It’s narrow, two lanes on a side and it’s like 500 feet up above the water. It scares the hell out of me. You can feel it wobbling under the load of big trucks.
When my dad was stationed at Langley we went across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel system. When you are only 9 or 10 years old, it's scary as heck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't care much for the pontoon bridge the Army made me cross in a deuce 1/2. The worst one, though was Royal Gorge. The first time when we were about half way across a big heavy Pepsi-Cola truck came across and I was sure it was more than that rattling, swaying bridge could take. I guess I was wrong, because here I am, alive and telling about it. The picture is from my 2nd crossing of Royal Gorge.
RoyalG.jpg

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't care much for the pontoon bridge the Army made me cross in a deuce 1/2. The worst one, though was Royal Gorge. The first time when we were about half way across a big heavy Pepsi-Cola truck came across and I was sure it was more than that rattling, swaying bridge could take. I guess I was wrong, because here I am, alive and telling about it. The picture is from my 2nd crossing of Royal Gorge.
View attachment 173705

We got to watch some dudes bungee jump off that bridge in my youth. Turns out, it was a one-off event and not open to everyone. We did go back and zip line though. Not the thrill I expected it to be, but beautiful and serene.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe This picture will provide more perspective.View attachment 173706 It is 1053 feet from the bridge to the Arkansas river

Here is the "other perspective." We rode the Royal Gorge train one year, and this picture was taken from the open car of the train.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Phantom Canyon Road between Cripple Creek and Canon City. Single lane dirt road through two or three tunnels and a curving old wooden rickety bridge. It was 1983 and my college roommate and I were in Canon City for Geology field camp. The first time we drove that road it was at night. We had NO CLUE and were driving it like the country roads of Oklahoma. The next time we drove it was in the day and we were scraping the side on one side and kicking rocks off the cliff on the other.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 173674 The Chesapeake Bay bridge near Annapolis, Maryland. It’s tall enough for big Navy ships to go under. It’s narrow, two lanes on a side and it’s like 500 feet up above the water. It scares the hell out of me. You can feel it wobbling under the load of big trucks.
LMAO, this is the baby. We regularly drove the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel to Virginia Beach. Once went across it in a storm at night. the swells would disappear from view in the lights then raise high enough to splash when they hit the deck. I hated that night.

Latest posts

Top Bottom