Scariest Bridge you (or almost) ever drove on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Phantom Canyon Road between Cripple Creek and Canon City. Single lane dirt road through two or three tunnels and a curving old wooden rickety bridge. It was 1983 and my college roommate and I were in Canon City for Geology field camp. The first time we drove that road it was at night. We had NO CLUE and were driving it like the country roads of Oklahoma. The next time we drove it was in the day and we were scraping the side on one side and kicking rocks off the cliff on the other.

Very different now. No rickety bridge and a pretty good dirt/gravel road.

That one actually takes one to Victor. Then, slip on over to Cripple Creek and take Shelf Road south back to Canon City. Both are neat to drive now, although Shelf Road is a bit narrower.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Phantom Canyon Road between Cripple Creek and Canon City. Single lane dirt road through two or three tunnels and a curving old wooden rickety bridge. It was 1983 and my college roommate and I were in Canon City for Geology field camp. The first time we drove that road it was at night. We had NO CLUE and were driving it like the country roads of Oklahoma. The next time we drove it was in the day and we were scraping the side on one side and kicking rocks off the cliff on the other.
I went thru there once with a '89 Suburban, and it was black as the blackest night ever, scary and those single lane tunnels were tighter that a nuns ****. It did in fact leave scratches on the side of our 'Burb.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe This picture will provide more perspective.View attachment 173706 It is 1053 feet from the bridge to the Arkansas river
iu

Shrek I'm looking down!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Scariest for me a was a deteriorating pontoon bridge over some crap-filled river in Iraq, strapped into a 14 ton MRAP wearing 50 pounds of gear...Had one hand on the buckle release and my eyes fixed on the closest hatch LOL...

GWinOK

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
258AD151-2452-4253-9A85-D15D751EAB2F.jpeg
I used to live on the Virginia part of the Delmarva Peninsula. I traveled frequently across the CBBT—17 miles of open water. My family and I were crossing I put on a summer day when a sudden squall came up. There were waves splashing up over the side of the road. That was pretty scary. Here’s a pic of that one.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 174281 I used to live on the Virginia part of the Delmarva Peninsula. I traveled frequently across the CBBT—17 miles of open water. My family and I were crossing I put on a summer day when a sudden squall came up. There were waves splashing up over the side of the road. That was pretty scary. Here’s a pic of that one.

Is that a tunnel in the middle there?

Latest posts

Top Bottom