Scariest Bridge you (or almost) ever drove on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiophile

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Phantom Canyon Road between Cripple Creek and Canon City. Single lane dirt road through two or three tunnels and a curving old wooden rickety bridge. It was 1983 and my college roommate and I were in Canon City for Geology field camp. The first time we drove that road it was at night. We had NO CLUE and were driving it like the country roads of Oklahoma. The next time we drove it was in the day and we were scraping the side on one side and kicking rocks off the cliff on the other.
Is that by any chance, "Up on Cripple Creek?" - sorry, couldn't help myself [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

audiophile

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep, there are actually two tunnel for ships to pass over. Nothing like driving under an aircraft carrier or a big tanker. The whole bridge is 17 miles long. This is just part of it.
Is the little restaurant/gift shop still there at the first tunnel from the Virginia side?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We got to watch some dudes bungee jump off that bridge in my youth. Turns out, it was a one-off event and not open to everyone. We did go back and zip line though. Not the thrill I expected it to be, but beautiful and serene.

I was there likely for the same event. Do you remember them hanging a piano over the side and playing it after the bungee jump?

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunan provice, China.
IMG_2766.JPG
IMG_2815.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom