SCCY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a cousin that went to the gunstore without seeking advice. Gunstore sold her an SCCY. She came over to shoot it and she didn’t have the grip strength to rack the slide. It went bye bye and I’m not sure what she ended up buying but she said she can operate it. Maybe it was a fluke but that particular SCCY was tough for even I to rack. It was small so not much to get ahold of and it was very stiff. I believe there are better options.
I only handled a couple at the store. Didn't notice either being hard to rack, but there was a noticeable difference in trigger pull (they're DA btw).
:drunk2:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Hi-Points, but being blowback, they're a lot heavier (and harder to rack) than the SCCY.

Hi-Points are also single stack, but you can get a 10rnd mag for 'em. It just sticks out a bit.
:drunk2:

But they are way more reliable is my point. Each SCCY generation has had several issues it seems.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad has 2 of them.
They are decent enough little guns.
Go bang every time.

I'd certainly trust one of the SCCY pistols long before I'd pick up a Taurus.
I looked at SCCYs for years--read the reviews, the comments of those who wouldn't buy anything under $500, who wouldn't trust CNC machined guns, yadda, yadda, yadda. I eventually bought a Taurus G2c because it felt better in my hand. Between my son and I, we've put about 600 rounds through the Taurus. I don't see anything wrong with it. The Taurus is my fourth pistol--I've owned a Hi Point C9, a FNP-9, a Sig P250 and the G2c. Of the four, I miss my FNP-9 the most--partly because of the way I had to part with it, but also because it was a sweet shooting gun. Frankly, of the four, the G2c ranks third over all--but it's first right now because it's the one I own. Remember, the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other good thing about the SCCY is that there is the option for the one with the CT-1500 dot sight from the factory. That's about 330 from the factory. If someone didn't have anything and didn't have much budget, or needed a cheap backup, that makes for an attractive option. The dot would be great for newer, inexperienced shooters IMHO. I debated getting one just to play with it, but I grabbed a Canik TP9SC instead.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the folks that asked me about the SCCY, went with the intention of buying one, but the shop they went to, in Missouri, were sold out of them and they bought the TP9SC and are very happy with it.

I should tell the location, Peculiar, MO. That may explain everything...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the folks that asked me about the SCCY, went with the intention of buying one, but the shop they went to, in Missouri, were sold out of them and they bought the TP9SC and are very happy with it.

I should tell the location, Peculiar, MO. That may explain everything...

That's a win on their part. Caniks are underrated IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom