School me on electric lawn mowers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MrGlock posted a self-propelled Honda gas mowers for sale.

Great mower, if you must have self-propelled, it is variable speed. The handle is the throttle.

Settled_Nomad

"Be Curious, Not Judgmental." -- Ted Lasso
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my parents a Greenworks 40V, push power back in July 2017. Still working great, batteries still holds a good charge. It is super easy to use and light. My lovely elderly mom handles it just fine. I picked up 60V version three years ago. It is self-propelled, but I don't use that feature. It came with a 5ah battery and it mows my front and back in one charge. Yes it will get bogged down if you don't cut often. During the peak growing seasons, I would mow twice a week. One of the commenters said go with the highest voltage one that you can afford, and he is right. I am eye balling the 80V version, but not quite ready to give up my current one yet. My neighbor owns the Ego 56v and it is nice and fancy. LED head lights. He loves it too. Below is my take on cordless electric mowers.

Pros:
-No more gas and maintenance associated with gas powered
-Quiet, and no exhaust fumes
-Light, and can be folded up for easy storage on it's end

Cons:
-Not designed for rough lawns that are not mowed often
-Batteries are expensive. I have not had to buy one yet

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WAAAYYYYY back in 1982 I and my girlfriend rented a house @ NW 49th & Villa from a friend.

Turns out there was an Electric Riding Lawn mower, a Sears Craftsman, in the garage and she told me to use it.

It had 3 golf cart batteries under the hood, it looked just exactly like any other riding lawn mower, except no gas tank and gas engine under the hood. You plugged it into the wall and charged it up just exactly like a golf cart.

I've never seen another one like it, apparently they didn't sell too well and never caught on. I liked it, it was quiet, didn't beat your hearing up, and did a good job.

I really think these should make a comeback. No gas to go buy and store, no oil to jack with, just plug it in.

Settled_Nomad

"Be Curious, Not Judgmental." -- Ted Lasso
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WAAAYYYYY back in 1982 I and my girlfriend rented a house @ NW 49th & Villa from a friend.

Turns out there was an Electric Riding Lawn mower, a Sears Craftsman, in the garage and she told me to use it.

It had 3 golf cart batteries under the hood, it looked just exactly like any other riding lawn mower, except no gas tank and gas engine under the hood. You plugged it into the wall and charged it up just exactly like a golf cart.

I've never seen another one like it, apparently they didn't sell too well and never caught on. I liked it, it was quiet, didn't beat your hearing up, and did a good job.

I really think these should make a comeback. No gas to go buy and store, no oil to jack with, just plug it in.
The battery powered riding lawn mowers are back. Just expensive has heck that's all. On the plus side, they are Lithium-Ion batteries and not the old school lead acid.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread cost me over $300. I just got a 40v Hart mower at Wal*Mart. It is everything I had hoped for. Actually, a little louder than I expected. It came with a 6 amp battery and fast charger, so that makes the effective price of mower alone under $100. I like being able to use the same batteries in the mower, weed eater, edger and leaf blower. I bought my first Hart tool just over 2 years ago and have now retired all of the old Dewalt tools in favor of Hart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom