School me on resizing 45 Colt brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old school knowing it wouldn't be perfectly accurate but good enough for on the low end loads for popping holes in old hard drives. Going to take my Blackhawk out in a bit and see what happens.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dipped, scooped, tapped dunked, swirled and trickled into the lee scoops and other homemade scoops Weighed on a 505 Beam scale 10 or more times trying each way until I found what done it the most consistent.
Trickled. Won out.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For hard sizing. A quick scan of the thread I did not see where anyone mentioned imperial sizing lube

it comes in a little tin and a little goes a very long way I touch the paste with my index finger... rub index and thumb. Then as I grab a piece of brass I can quickly work it onto the brass. One dab can do a couple pieces of brass

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For hard sizing. A quick scan of the thread I did not see where anyone mentioned imperial sizing lube

it comes in a little tin and a little goes a very long way I touch the paste with my index finger... rub index and thumb. Then as I grab a piece of brass I can quickly work it onto the brass. One dab can do a couple pieces of brass

+1. Great stuff. I put off trying it for a long time because I had a variety of lubes on the bench and it 'seemed' expensive. It's not. That little tin lasts forever. But, if he's using carbide dies, he doesn't need it anyway!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went through that little tin in about 4 years of sizing rifle cases.
I now use Hornady Unique Case Lube and have used 1/2 of it.
It does go a long ways.

I have used it on pistol cases going into carbide dies.
about 1 in 10-15 cases would get a tiny bit of lube and that really helped slick the others through.

Some forms of cleaning cases will make the case a bit rougher than say a corn cob polished case.

It stated on the literature that the Imperial sizing die wax:
For use inside and outside the case neck to reduce drag on both the die and size button without concern of powder contamination.

I swab it out.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1. Great stuff. I put off trying it for a long time because I had a variety of lubes on the bench and it 'seemed' expensive. It's not. That little tin lasts forever. But, if he's using carbide dies, he doesn't need it anyway!

I don’t know. I lube all my cases. No matter what dies I’m using. It may not help a ton but it definitely does not hurt. In my progressive I’ll use a little homemade (alcohol and lanolin).

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t know. I lube all my cases. No matter what dies I’m using. It may not help a ton but it definitely does not hurt. In my progressive I’ll use a little homemade (alcohol and lanolin).

That was the purpose of carbide dies, so lubing all those little pistol cartridges wouldn't have to be done. It doesn't hurt to use some, but that's the reason guys pay more for the carbide dies. Some guys do still and some guys don't.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back up 50 Years on how to lube cases
1) A stamp pad (No Ink)
2) lube was poured on stamp pad
3) Brass was then hand rolled on pad
4) Resized with steel dies
A) If you did not get enough Lube on case it stuck in Die
B) Then use the Stuck Die Removal Tool