School me on resizing 45 Colt brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was the purpose of carbide dies, so lubing all those little pistol cartridges wouldn't have to be done. It doesn't hurt to use some, but that's the reason guys pay more for the carbide dies. Some guys do still and some guys don't.

I agree it can't hurt. I actually think it helps but people will always argue differently. In the end whatever works for a person is the right answer.

It seems that "no lube" is why everyone buys carbide dies. It does really help but another benefit is that they will last a LOT longer. IT may come as a shock to some but yes dies can wear out over time. When I did a lot of 223 to 300BLK conversion I wore out 2. and the first one I modified twice to get it back into spec and add a little extra life out of it. how many rounds to wear one out? Never counted 50K to 100K?

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now spray a little Hornady One Shot on cases
(Even if you are using Carbide Dies)
(You do not clean cases after resizing)

The only time I've stuck a case in a die was when I used the Hornady spray. Granted, it was probably my fault by not getting an even coat on the cases -- that one case may have received no spray since I sprayed 50 of them at a time in the loading block. Probably my fault but since using the Imperial Wax, never had an issue.

I've never lubed pistol brass before sizing, never had an issue in my Lee carbide dies. I agree with an earlier poster, it can't hurt the brass or the dies to lube the pistol cases it just adds a couple more steps that i'm not willing to add right now in the hope of extending my dies.
I do periodically clean my dies whenever I see crud on the brass that wasn't there when it went in.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered some One Shot before seeing the post on Imperial. Going to town in the next day or so and will see if I can find the Imperial. Seems to me like it is just the ticket for occasional lubing carbide dies.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used a little bit of everything over the years. Started with a tube of Rig and that lasted me many years. I've used the Hornady One Shot (didn't care for it) and the liquid lanolin and alcohol (excellent, but kinda' messy) and some others I've forgotten. I still have a spray bottle of the lanolin and alcohol on my bench. It and the Imperial get most of the use. I never lube with the carbide dies. Never saw the use if my brass was clean. To each his own.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only time I've stuck a case in a die was when I used the Hornady spray. Granted, it was probably my fault by not getting an even coat on the cases -- that one case may have received no spray since I sprayed 50 of them at a time in the loading block. Probably my fault but since using the Imperial Wax, never had an issue.

I've never lubed pistol brass before sizing, never had an issue in my Lee carbide dies. I agree with an earlier poster, it can't hurt the brass or the dies to lube the pistol cases it just adds a couple more steps that i'm not willing to add right now in the hope of extending my dies.
I do periodically clean my dies whenever I see crud on the brass that wasn't there when it went in.

I spray the One Shot in the Dillon case feeder, does not take any extra time for Pistol Brass
I do not load Rifle Brass so I do not know what works best for it

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend of mine said he uses the Hornady One Shot and puts the cases in a baggie and squirts the One Shot into the baggie and then shake it all up to coat all cases well.

AND LET IT DRY.
Very important.. Dry time usually 10 minutes and over night is fine also.
DO NOT run them into the die wet. You can stick a case like that.

That is what I was told..Never used it myself.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use one shot liberally. I have done the baggie but normally use a shell tray and hit then at an angle from all 4 sides. I am not shy about it. I spray them outside walk in, a quick spray in the die and go to town. No stuck cases ever when hitting them good. Sometimes I will toss them back in tumbler for 10 minutes if they are still slippery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom