School me on this Tokarev

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Tokarev. I don't know a lot about them but I'm assuming this one is Russian. Any more information would be appreciated.
20220111_202620.jpg
20220111_202635.jpg
20220111_202659.jpg
20220111_202714.jpg
20220111_202721.jpg

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, pre-war Russian TT-33. Very cool. Do you happen to know its history? Many of the 1940 and earlier dated TT-33s n the US are GI bring backs from WWII. The Germans captured large numbers of these during the initial Soviet invasion, which they promptly reissued to their own troops. The western allies subsequently confiscated many from surrendering Germans in the latter stages of the war. Although designed for the Soviet 7.62x25mm cartridge, they can also shoot German 7.63x25 Mauser rounds, which is one reason they were so widely reissued.
They're decent guns. I have a Polish copy and like it. Trigger pull isn't anything to write home about, but accuracy is completely acceptable for a military pistol, it's been totally reliable, and the 7.62x25 cartridge is a hot round. They used to be a relatively cheap gun to shoot, but the supply of surplus Czech and Hungarian 7.62 dried up a few years ago. Anyhow, congratulations. It looks like you have a really nice, un-molested example.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's another 'way cool, dude' from me. One of the things I miss about working at the range -- getting to see all the neat stuff fellas would bring in ... Thanks for sharing pics!

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool old gun.
I see it's also got a lanyard ring on the bottom of the magazine.
You probably already know, those pistols have no screws in them.
The grips are held on by metal strips riveted to the grip panels and the mag release is held by a split pin.

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yours made in 1939. Mostly based on JMB design similar to the 1911. Nice, unique, fire control system held into the frame by the slide. Ammo is available from SG Ammo, some surplus(Berdan/corrosive) and current(Boxer/clean) production.
Disassemble - slide clip on right side back one click, push out slide lock/release lever, slide slides off toward the front. lift out hammer/sear assembly. Recoil spring may want to let itself free. Front barrel bushing rotates 180* to remove, barrel slides out front of slide.

Early barrels had locking lug only had lugs on top half, later barrels had lugs all the way around.
Aftermarket grips are available. I like the originals better.
7.62x25 Tokarev round is stout enough to go through soft body armor, both sides.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom