School me on Travel trailers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’ve been planning on building my own teardrop, but I’ve come across a family friend who is reportedly selling their 2017 model 21ft bumper pull travel trailer for an absolute steal, if the rumored price is correct. With a previous career as a heavy equipment mechanic and current training as a home inspector I’m pretty confident in my mechanical skills and my understanding of building inspections, but I know very very little about travel trailers.

when looking at the trailer:

what issues should I look for?
What questions should I ask?
If purchased, are their any suggested upgrades or issues I should be ready for?
RV/travel trailer owners, have you ever considered renting out your RV/travel trailer? Why/why not? For those of you who have, how was/is your experience?

thanks in advance!

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably the most important thing to look for is evidence of a water leak. Those can leave a lot of damage.
This right here. Check the roof, AC, windows and plumbing. I worked my way through school at one of the bigger RV dealers in Tulsa, a little water goes a long way in destroying an RV.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably the most important thing to look for is evidence of a water leak. Those can leave a lot of damage.

This right here. Check the roof, AC, windows and plumbing. I worked my way through school at one of the bigger RV dealers in Tulsa, a little water goes a long way in destroying an RV.
I figure that much like a home, my best friend when looking for leaks is not only my eyes, but also a thermal imaging camera and moisture meter? I figure it would be in the logical spots, like around the bathroom, roof edges, roof penetrations, and corners/bottom of the trailer?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I figure that much like a home, my best friend when looking for leaks is not only my eyes, but also a thermal imaging camera and moisture meter? I figure it would be in the logical spots, like around the bathroom, roof edges, roof penetrations, and corners/bottom of the trailer?
It may or not be obvious visually but run your hands on the outside to see if any roof leaks or leaks around windows from the past that have been repaired let water under the outer skin causing delamination. You may not be able to see it, but your hands will pick it up.
Check the suspension especially if it's tandem axel for bushing wear.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roof Roof Roof, and that's not the dog barking.

Step around all over, every square inch you can, soft spots in the floor are a big problem to fix. Any exterior delamination is bad news, I'd walk away from any unit with that.

Check the manufacturers label for all weights. The weight for carrying capacity is vital, if this unit has a carrying weight for less than 1,000 pounds, it's skimpily made, by the time you put your stuff in it, water in the tanks, etc, it's likely to be over weight.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of roof problems and leaking. As an insurance adjuster it was common for insurance claims to be filed for hail damage when it was actually just not maintaining them correctly and the seals were cracked all over. They get water in them and the mold starts. They appear to be nice but they are all totaled. Most of the insurance claims were denied. They just sit outside and aren't covered. Within a few years under those conditions, they're garbage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom