School me / Recommend me a Weapon Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run Streamlight on my pistol’s. Surefire on me rifles. Have a TLR2-HL that I’ve had on my G31 EDC for like 10 years. No problems.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They say Olight makes a good one, but I just stick with Streamlight and Surefire.

I just picked up an Olight bundle on an Amazon lightning deal just before Christmas...one handgun/one long gun light. They seem pretty solid...I really like the magnetic charging cords. Not sure they're up to Surefire or even Streamlight quality but so far they're more than adequate for homeowner duty.

I don't even normally keep a light on my defensive guns where I currently live...but starting to transition to the new house in a much more rural area without the ambient light I have here from various sources. So, they might come in handy.

I will say I had an opportunity to see how Olight's customer service was once the lights arrived. The charging cords have red/green lights on them to let you know when the light is charged. One of them never changed from red to green though it seemed to charge the light just fine. Sent an email and had a new cord within a week. So that's definitely a positive.

I got the PL Pro Valkyrie (the handgun-sized light) and the Odin rifle light.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up an Olight bundle on an Amazon lightning deal just before Christmas...one handgun/one long gun light. They seem pretty solid...I really like the magnetic charging cords. Not sure they're up to Surefire or even Streamlight quality but so far they're more than adequate for homeowner duty.

I don't even normally keep a light on my defensive guns where I currently live...but starting to transition to the new house in a much more rural area without the ambient light I have here from various sources. So, they might come in handy.

I will say I had an opportunity to see how Olight's customer service was once the lights arrived. The charging cords have red/green lights on them to let you know when the light is charged. One of them never changed from red to green though it seemed to charge the light just fine. Sent an email and had a new cord within a week. So that's definitely a positive.

I got the PL Pro Valkyrie (the handgun-sized light) and the Odin rifle light.
I have the Olight with green laser on a FN-509 and a M&P series 1 truck gun. Option to run just laser or laser/light.
Have another on a Nordic .22 rimfire AR platform rifle. It's incredible on armadillos at night.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Olight with green laser on a FN-509 and a M&P series 1 truck gun. Option to run just laser or laser/light.
Have another on a Nordic .22 rimfire AR platform rifle. It's incredible on armadillos at night.
Do you think you could PM me the build specs on that diller gun? You got me curious. I've never had a dedicated rimfire AR

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you think you could PM me the build specs on that diller gun? You got me curious. I've never had a dedicated rimfire AR
Nordic NC-22 upper. It's probably the cream of the crop.
There are S&W .22 rimfire complete rifles that are very reliable as well at less cost. Shot a crap ton of steel challenge matches over the years. I can't say anything bad about the S&W. I just chose to go with Nordic.

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/nc-22rb-upper/
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-15-22

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my thought......................
I actually don't like the idea of having a light attached to my gun. Reason.............
If my light is lighting up a person/thing that means my gun is pointed at it.

This is a good point, which is why when you use a WML you keep your muzzle depressed (or you point it straight up to illuminate the room from the ceiling) and you use the spill from the light to spot the target and raise the light only enough to see their hands.
Important to buy a light with enough spill to do this. Also great idea to carry a handheld light. I like the Thyrm Switchback for shooting with a handheld.
No reason we can’t have both a handheld and a WML.
Pointing a light directly at someone’s face is an aggressive act, I’m not doing that unless I’m about to shoot.

Tuc1911

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try and stay with 1 type of wml. Personally I use the trl-1 and trl-1hl. My g34 g17 and g19 have them along with other handguns but with the glock I can use one holster for all 3.

Streamlight and surefire are both great options

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, night sights work against a WML, because when you illuminate the room, car, yard, whatever, your sights are silhouetted and you can't see the tritium.

Fiber optic sights gather available light, so they would probably work better on a pistol with a WML. I've never had FO sights, so that may be a lie...I dunno.

As for choices, there are several. I'm running a Streamlight TLR-7A on my M&P 45 M2.0 Compact, simply because I prefer the WML's bezel to be flush with the pistol's muzzle.

They say Olight makes a good one, but I just stick with Streamlight and Surefire.
Olight is trash. They’ve blown up and injured and killed people

Latest posts

Top Bottom