School me / Recommend me a Weapon Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beware! If you buy a Surefire brand light but don't use Surefire brand batteries, and have a battery related issue which requires service, it will void their lifetime repair/replace policy. I don't know about Streamlight's policy. I would assume it is similar...I dunno.
That seems kinda crazy on the warranty because for the most part every major company makes CR123 batteries now.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ugh… duh… lmao
He's right about that too. The glow isn't consistent with the light in front like that, the front sight will wash out pretty easily. Took some pics a couple minutes ago. G19, Trigicon HD and surefire xcl light,,,

Attachments

• 20211225_194356.jpg
    20211225_194356.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20211225_194202.jpg
    20211225_194202.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20211225_194240.jpg
    20211225_194240.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lot's of good lights so no brand recommendation.

A couple of things to consider, candella, think candella rather than lumens for house gun. I prefer the light to extend past the muzzle, if you're going to have a light it might as well act as stand off device, close up in the dark you never know what your fight will be, check the Jared Reston incident and how having a stand off light helped him. If you want a strobe feature that's fine but in reality the strobe effect is of little value. Lasers, dunno, never had one. I could see the night sights okay when using the light so it's whatever you think. Tactics when using a WML are far more important than whatever features a light might have, so get thee to a WML class as soon as possible.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a flashlight mounted on a pistol. While it is nice to have a laser-dot and flashlight, it's next to impossible to find a holster to accommodate both the pistol and the light. Maybe I'll get an identical pistol and not mount a flashlight.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my thought......................
I actually don't like the idea of having a light attached to my gun. Reason.............
If my light is lighting up a person/thing that means my gun is pointed at it. If bad guy has a gun and shoots at the light that means he/she is going to hit me. I like having a light separate from the gun. If it happens to be a loved one you are pointing the light/gun at that could end tragically. Gun in strong hand, and light in off/weak hand. If they shoot at the light the worst that would happen is the weak hand being injured. My .02

allmac

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
For a G19 nightstand gun I would recommend a Surefire X300u.
No such thing as a more vetted and reliable light. Plenty of lumens, good hot spot, decent spill. Also lots of holster options available this gun/light combo.
The switch set-up is (IMO) very intuitive and easy to use in a thumbs forward grip or with the tip of your trigger finger if you are running your gun one-handed.

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Streamlight TLR-1 HL is my hearty recommendation, with the additional suggestions to have a small handheld light to use alongaside it, and to buy this $20 book and read it.

https://progressivecombat.com/?page_id=5841
Ken Good is the father of modern tactics with white light and WMLs, he's forgotten more than anyone in this thread knows and he addresses a lot of the concerns brought up in the comments above.

Latest posts

Top Bottom