School Resource Officer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my limited knowledge: School resource officers are typically sworn Peace officers, or have CLEET certification in Oklahoma, other states have other standards courses. Security guards typically do not.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My Son in Law is an SRO in Nashville, TN. He is a Deputy Sheriff of that County. He did 6 years on the street and got the SRO job this year. He is going back to the beat in July, said the SRO job is great, but he needs the feel of the road.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's with this 'School Resource Officer' terminology? Isn't this actually an Armed Security Guard position? Are they afraid to call it what it is? This appears to be political correctness run amuck.

Woody
It is because certain groups of people feel the term "police officer" is oppressive. People do not realize it, but remember way back in the 1980s liberals started the "Words Hurt" campaign, it was all about creating an environment of political correctness. Bullying is also part of the overall way of reeducating our society.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meh, I don't know. SROs have been a "thing" since like the 60's the last time I looked into it.

They aren't just supposed to be cops or armed security guards...they are supposed to be integrated into the school and be a "resource" for the administrators. There is supposed to be a student education and awareness aspect to their job as well...not just a cop sitting in a cruiser in the parking lot. Picture it like the good old fashioned beat cop who got to know everyone on his street...but in a school.

As usual, humans take a good idea and screw it up.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the SRO here are all police officers who have that as their assignment. i believe they do more than just patrol the schools, as is noted, including coordinating event security and transportation issues (i.e. help with drop off and pick up and other traffic related activities)

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are cops, plain and simple.

Wrong... I'm sure there are some that don't do much, however, the officers at Brink Jr High, and Westmoore HS, in OKC, do much more. They develop relationships with the students, giving them someone they feel safe talking to, they are available to teachers and councilors and assist them in working with troubled students, and in a couple of instances where these schools were locked down due to police activity in the area, they quickly implemented school security activities, and remained in charge until the incident cleared. These guys probably would rather be on the street, but they are doing a heck of a good job, and greatly help with student - police relationships.

There are poor examples in every profession, but first responders of all types have my respect and prayers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom