Science Fiction Classics (Reading)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may have already ready these form Larry Niven, but Ringworld is great, part of Tales of Known Space. Inferno (kind of a modern day Dante's Inferno-really good)...also, The Man-Kzin Wars. Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle great writing duo of you like Sci-Fi.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may have already ready these form Larry Niven, but Ringworld is great, part of Tales of Known Space. Inferno (kind of a modern day Dante's Inferno-really good)...also, The Man-Kzin Wars. Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle great writing duo of you like Sci-Fi.

+1000 - in Known Space Larry Niven has managed to weave an entire bubble of populated interstellar space with races that aren't all just variants of human. Plus I like his brand of "hard" Sci-Fi. The Inferno series is also good and very internally logical. He tops any list of mine.

I have read a couple of John Ringo's works but didn't realize he had so much more.

Isaac Asimov is also deep and rich in his writing but his style was definitely created at a time when radio broadcasting was the main way of bringing stories to the populace. It's reflected in his earlier writings particularly.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever read James Blish' work (other than his adaptations of Star Trek)?
He has a couple of very interesting sci-fi fantasy horror mixes - Black Sunday and the Day After Judgement.are worth a read.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might as well just say it: anything by Robert A. Heinlein is worth reading! My favorites--the ones I've read at least twice, if not more--are The Puppet Masters and Glory Road.
I wouldn't recommend starting with the World As Myth series (or The Number Of the Beast at all--that's just a hot mess), as there's some serious ickiness in those books, and you need a good foundation in Heinlein to overcome it. Personally, I didn't care for Stranger In a Strange Land, but I certainly wouldn't recommend against reading it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll second the recommendation on Douglas Adams, though the last two books of the Hitchhiker's trilogy aren't as strong as the first three. ;) The best way to experience them is as the original radio play; you can get the whole series from Amazon.

I'll also throw in All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. This is the novel that was the basis for the Tom Cruise movie Edge Of Tomorrow. I actually got this one on Kindle and from Audible.

David Weber's Honor Harrington ("Honorverse") series is also pretty good, and you can find a lot of the early books in this series in free e-book form on the Web (I think I downloaded them directly from the publisher, but it has been a few years).

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a few other authors I read here and there but I have been a Robert Anson Heinlein freak since like forever. Unlike 226 'Stranger In a Strange Land' is my fave and the book I always recommend when I recommend him to friends.

Latest posts

Top Bottom