Scope advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may have missed it but what model Henry is it? If it’s a Golden Boy I’m pretty sure you have to leave iron sights. That’s a rule that’s written down somewhere.
45-70.jpg

LOL, I agree, they look much better unaltered, which is where my biggest dilemma is. It's an H010B, the brass one with 22" barrel that is REALLY supposed to have the sights on.

With the 50mm lens, I would have to remove the rear sight to fit, but since I bought the medium height rings, I think the 40mm would fit without removing them...maybe... I got nothing but time before hunting season, so I will put the scope on it and see how it looks, if I don't like it, I'll put them back on. I may even get some ghost sights like D. Hargrove suggested.

Only time I have seen a deer further than 200 yards (while out hunting) was in SE New Mexico in the canyons. I've only seen a few, that I'd try to shoot at, outside of 100-150 yards, probably because I'm usually dove or rabbit hunting, so not looking for them. The places where I would ever get to hunt (since I'm poor and have no friends) are mostly wooded, with some opening areas of 75-100 yards, so the iron sights would more than likely get me inside a 6" pattern. If I had a brace or bipod, I would have little doubt of dropping one.

I'm just spitballing mostly, If I go hunting for deer or larger game, I'm guessing I'll take the 300, just on the off chance I saw one at 200+. My intentions for hunting with the Henry are hogs, and I'm told they are mostly found in wooded areas, so a close range bull gun would work good there, even with factory sights. Since I am cheap and want use my cash for guns and reloading stuff, I am going to attempt to make a nice leather (western cowboys days look) stock butt pad with bullet holder, make a leather wrapping for the bottom of the lever, plus a leather sling (so anyone with experience leather crafting please speak up lol). Then when I get a blued lever gun, I will use it for hunting and hang the Henry up. The Henry website has several different sight options, picatanny rails for mounting, a couple different scope ring options, and 2-3 open sights. I will take a few looks at the gun with iron, get me some ghosts, and scope setup and see what I like best.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
They make one with an intergrated scope mount also. If you do go the scope route, you could use lo-pro see through rings and use the peep for up close shots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom