1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Scope covers

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by cdschoonie, Jan 13, 2018.

1. cdschoonie

cdschoonie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I know this is beating a dead horse, but I am wanting find scope covers for the Nikon and the Redfield scopes I have. I searched the site, but all I find are Butler Creek. I have these on both scopes right now, and they suck, every time I so much as touch the rifles the covers flip up. I don't want to pay $100 for covers, but I'd pay up to $75 for a pair. Even when I google brand specific covers, they send me to Butler Creek. I know there are Vortex for like $50, but not sure if that is each or for a pair. Any ideas?

2. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have the Vortex Defender covers. They were $19.99 each. They are much nicer than the butler creeks I have.

cdschoonie likes this.
  3. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Elastic or rubber band around the whole thing, and/or attach each end to the cover opening tabs. Sort of a temporary fix, but it might help retain yer sanity for a bit.

Just a thought. :drunk2:

cdschoonie likes this.
  4. HiredHand

HiredHand Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Never had a problem with the Butler Creek covers. Are they sized correctly for the scope?

D. Hargrove likes this.
  5. Glocksteady

Glocksteady Sharpshooter

I paid the $100 and they are solid. Butler’s flipped open too easy and even broke. Aadmount’s are well worth it. Very solid.

6. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Never a problem with my Butler Creek ones, either. Hmmm... interesting.

7. cdschoonie

cdschoonie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yeah, I read nothing but good reviews online about the Butler Creeks. Then the rifle I bought had them on the scope, they are flipped open most of the time, so I just thought they were old and worn out. Went to buy new ones at Academy, they do the same thing out of the box, took them back, went to Cabela's to see about different brands. There were 2 guys looking for other types while I was, heard one tell the other one be careful buying the butler, and explained he has had the same issue.

I like the looks and reviews of the Aadmount, plus lifetime warranty, so if they are $100 for a pair, I'll suck up and buy them. Of course if that is $100 for each, I'll just use duct tape on them for covers. I'll never pay over $200 for a scope anyway, so not worth paying the same price for covers as the scope is...

Thank you all for the advice!

8. beastep

beastep Sharpshooter

That happens when the covers are too small. I have I dont know how many sets of Butlers and the only ones I ever had that would do that were too small for the scope.

Pokinfun likes this.
  9. Pokinfun

Pokinfun The Most Interesting Man in the World

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    my experience is the same with the scope caps opening if they are too small.
    When I buy the them I measure the scope with calibers and I check the chart for the correct size, then I measure the cap before I purchase it.
    The downside is, a couple of times I have had to walk down the road looking for the scope cap that slipped off.

10. NikatKimber

NikatKimber Moderator Staff Member

Rating
    100%
    I wish Butler Creek just sold them by size instead of by some random ID number. Then you could just measure, order, and be done.