Scope for an AR 15...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All....

It's been a while...a long while....for me to ask about scopes and red dot sights for an AR.

Back in the mid-1990's, all my buddies used were ACOG(Trijicon) and EOTech red dots. On one of my AR rifles I put a "real" scope...a Leupold 3-9x40.

Right now...2019. What do you have on your AR?? If possible describe the reticle and if lit up what color you like the best. What rings or mount do you have and how high are they to avoid the front iron sight..if you rifle has one. Is it water/fog proof.

Give me your Pro and Con on what you have, what you would like(next purchase) and what to STAY AWAY from.

Pictures or internet pictures are welcome!!!

Thanks!!

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
3 gun rifle has a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6
Suppressed rifle has a Vortex Sparc AR
PCC has a Sig Romeo 3
.22 steel challenge rifle has a Burris fastfire 2

If using for fast paced close up stuff only, the red dot reigns supreme.
If going close up, then having to rapidly engage at 500 yards, the 1-6 is king.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like primary arms reticles and glass, they have a handful of them and offer them in a 1x red dot type, 2.5x, 3x and 5 x fixed prisms, they also offer scopes of various xs, and Trijicon has their reticles in the acogs.. That should speak of the reticle.. The reticles are the newest developed ranging reticle and other brands are copying them as best they can.. I like the prisms myself, a bit heavy but built like tanks..
https://www.primaryarms.com/MCategories+ACSS-Optics

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt deer and other critters with my guns and I need low power when walking through thickets and some zoom is handy at times also.
3-9x40 Nikon BDC reticle Not that I like the BDC I really like MIL-Dot But eeehhh.
One other AR the one for the wife has a 2-7x32 Nikon shotgun scope.
It is great .. you can get a great view very fast with it.
I am cheap though and got them both on sale for under $100.

No issues with seeing the front sight either.
This one has a different scope now but that is how high it sets..That is my homemade 80% lower that I anodized myself.
I no longer have a flash hider either ..carboned my crown and accuracy went to crap.

ar-001-jpg.98599

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are you wanting to use the AR for? That will depend greatly on what recommendations you get.

Yup. This is a purpose driven conversation. I've got ARs with red dots, RMRs, eotechs, 1-6x scopes, 10x scopes, and some have higher mag scopes for those ARs that are built for long range applications...

To address the "what to stay away from" question, I would say stay away from anything outside of the typical use of the rifle.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. This is a purpose driven conversation. I've got ARs with red dots, RMRs, eotechs, 1-6x scopes, 10x scopes, and some have higher mag scopes for those ARs that are built for long range applications...

To address the "what to stay away from" question, I would say stay away from anything outside of the typical use of the rifle.

All great responses from what I can see. Like everyone else, I have MSR's in different calibers for different applications. Short range steel challenge, 30 yard max to deer calibers that will reach way out there.
The intended purpose of the single rifle is what one has to look at, not just the overall what is best for the AR platform.

Latest posts

Top Bottom